My 1000th Post - Losing My ASL Mind – Please don’t read if you’re a Newbie it will discourage you!

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Well I have to call a spade a spade – I keep forgetting rules and tactics (that I probably had poor tactics to begin with as well) but it makes no sense
I might add I have played “The Game” since 1983 – I don’t want a break – it is my only outlet in life! (No other hobbies that I can do with a time poor life)
It’s got so bad – I look up rules all the time but next week I am looking at the same rule :readit: – I play PBEM so it is easy for me but gee – why won’t it stick
It’s got so bad – a great and wise long term player has got frustrated with me! – Badly frustrated
He was not the first – I had lost others in the past for the same reason but it has got worse :cry:

But it does not make sense ...:confused:
I am a Physician – I remember and do heaps mentally every day – things stick in my brain that others can’t retain – 30+ years means I make a difference (thanks to God) at work where juniors miss diseases and forget how to treat! and make patients worse.....
But this ASL rule book won’t stick – I have the same problem with bible verses but they are written in a spiritual way and many books explain them so they will stick eventually with repetition (or maybe not)
I even, on recent long service leave of 3 months, devoted myself to read the ASLRB, read every article I could find (MMP and TPP) so that I would have a better grasp for my opponents! But alas no Joy – nothing seems to have stuck.

I do a lot of cognition work in my job – we use a memory test called a MOCA and we literally take away capacity with this test in dementia patients for their safety.
If I invented a MOCA on ASL – I would be sent to the ASL nursing home :facepalm:

Life has dipped in recent times – teenage children, rescue dog!, midlife crisis for both myself and wife! And a workplace of managers that bully more and more “blood from the stone”
I am not surprised - all of us are facing tough times thanks to our "Modern World" so I think all of us share this common fate now
But I have had heavy times in past and came out the other end and will do the same here but why is there no space in my brain for this document.
It’s no bigger than the books I have even written or the lectures I have given
I pride myself that I can connect your and old doctors to new medical concepts – It’s a skill I have but that skill does not work here for some strange reason
So, before I am relegated to the ASL nursing home – does anyone have any ideas?
Yours (while I remember you)
Rob o_O

PS I would like to thanks those at Gamesquad for 13 years of a fantastic place to share questions, thoughts and projects and to find answers to Life (including ASL)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's normal not to remember all details.

Could you give us exemples so that we can assess how bad it is?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, Mr. T is on track...

Like are you forgetting what would be basic military SOPs of ASL...broken units have 6 MF (unless wounded leader)...or are you forgetting how many PP a unit can take into tunnel...or what happens when a Japanese HIP TH'H hex is entered by a tank?

Are you more forgetful in PBEM situations than when you play ftf. There might be a difference in how "hard" you think between the two...or how more relaxed you are and allows you to think better more freely...

As on-line ASL Medical Professionals we need more data and tests from our remote out-patient...no need to bend over thank you. ;) Err my attempt at medical humor.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's normal not to remember all details.

Could you give us exemples so that we can assess how bad it is?
He would but he can't remember... :cool:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Rules I remember. In fact, all these rule parsing makes reading contracts a breeze.
Things to do that I tend to forget, I write on strips of masking tape around my monitor until it becomes "muscle" memory.

It's just that I need to make better decisions!

(At least I won't be writing a post titled "Losing my Marbles", can't lose what I don't have in the first place!)

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JRV have MASSIVE couches. If you check his posts, seems like all of the world’s riches can be found between his cushions.
Hmmm, not sure...jrv is a bitcoin guy...not sure couches exist in the bits and bytes realm. But you know maybe he has gone all hard currency now...never know with him. You could be right.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I have the same problem. I've been getting back into it after a 20+ (!) year layoff, and play mostly solitaire, so it's even easier to look up rules :), and I suspect that's where the problem might be.

I played a bit of FtF last year, and while it was slow going at first, as I got used to playing again, I made it a point to speed up my game play to something reasonable, which meant not constantly looking up rules. Forcing myself to play without the crutch of always looking things up, constantly using the basic rules in a real-life situation, under a bit of time pressure as well, helped cement those rules into my brain.

I would say that's why you can remember all the stuff you need to do for your work - you had to cram it all into your brain when you were a student, but then the repeated use, day after day, in real-life situations, nailed it in.

People often say that you should go to tournaments, even if you're new and a bit unsure of the rules, since it's a great way to get better, and I suspect there's a lot of truth in that. I know that even the little FtF I did last year helped me remember stuff a lot.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I strongly suggest you grab the Starter Kits if you haven't already, Robo. They only concentrate on the core aspects of the game by removing the chrome (fluff) which ultimately clutters your mind with too many things to remember. You can't remember the rules because unlike most guys playing this game, you have actually filled your mind up with some pretty heavy memory intensive information, already. You'll find the SK system a real relaxing read, and you'll be having fun playing again. Once you've played through the full Starter system, the other rule additions will be like the proverbial icing on the cake.

It just sounds to me like you need to give your brain a bit of a break is all, sheesh if I tried to cram into my brain what you have in yours, I'd be your patient already! ;-)

P.S Congratulations on your 1000th post! :)

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've been playing more ASL since I retired and I believe I remember more of the rules than I used to remember because of it, however, I certainly do not remember everything.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same here. I forget stuff and get very aggravated with myself. It is part of aging I suppose. Don't go quietly into that dark night, but don't pound yourself all the way to the door either. Maybe a short respite wouldn't hurt.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've been playing for years now but I don't get enough games in, I constantly forget rules and it's infuriating
but hey, it is a complex game after all (very, very complex) so I guess it's to be expected

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Rob, maybe part of the problem is when and where you do your logs? If your trying to cram in too many games into a set time limit the rushing through the logs will mean you don't give yourself thinking space to consider the rules you know. The longer you keep up that pace the more rules get pushed to the rear of your memory.

Possible answer would be to slow down on the number of logs you do in a set time frame and so slow down your games a little but actually get more enjoyment out of the games.

Great thing about PBeM you can do this without undue effect on the other player, much better than playing a game live at ultra slow rate ;-)

PS, I'm not frustrated lol

Ian