MwT II the authors speak about their designs (#20 The Bet)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Time to spend some words about this new experience,
but first of all a great THANK YOU to those involved in the project making possible to a wannabe designer as me to begin and to test my skill.
The final second place, Silver Medal, is really wonderful...

I was tempted to try this contest to see if my idea about a new kind of VC and side assignemnt is interesting for the masses and if, hopefully, at least one of the famous designer in this forum can use my idea in his future designs. (No fear, no copyright yet :cool:)

The Bet is a very original scenario because for the first time (at least for what I know) the VC are integrated in the side assignment with a bid procedure.
I was "forced" to try something like this because having about a month to submit the design it was impossible (for me) to create a scenario and fully playtest it. So I thought a method to have a scenario automatically balanced.
and this is the result:

Victory conditions:
The German Player wins at the end of any Game Turn if he controls > the number of building/rubble hexes in board 17 he bid (See SSR 2)

and
SSR2 To determine sides each Player secretly bids the number of building/rubble hexes in board 17 he believes can control at the end of any game turn playing as German. The higher bidder takes the German side. A dr will decide sides in case of a tie.

This procedure should give many good collateral effects:

No playtesting needed to find the balance since the scenario is self balanced. In fact everyone can find by himself the right # to bid according his personal tastes and attitudes. If the number you bid is too high or too low you simply increase the opponent's chance to get a favorable VC level.

A more chance for the skill to win against the luck. A good player should identify a "bid range" better than a poor player.

No waste of time before publication to decide if, for example exactly 8 X 457 are too many or too few to defend the village. Any designer/publisher can save time and money concentrating on other aspects of the scenario.

End, for ever, of the category "unbalanced dog". If you think the Germans are too weak to conquer the village, offer a very low number of buildings. But if your opponent offers one more than you, and he achieves the objective, you deserves your loss.

High replayability at least until you find the correct bid. But after you get a reasonable bid level, probably you will try to improve that number to see if it is really correct...

Endless possiblilities to apply this VC concept to any classic ASL VC:
change in the VC example building/rubble with EVP, or CVP, or just VP (to define fully in a SSR) , or number of CVP the OPPONENT should NOT ammass, or hill hexes, or Enemy AFV destroyed, or AFV exited, or FP exerted in a given area, or road hexes cleared ecc ecc.

Any of the variants above lets the designer to use the historical VC he likes more saving the balance at the same time.

Time will tell everything.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I still remember this thread - so it's really great to see that your excitement and enthusiasm paid off. :) Congratulations on your achievement.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
And I apologise wholeheartedly for misspelling Enrico's surname on the front page :(