Music: what are you Listening to now?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Crying and screaming babies. I feel like this disc is stuck in the CD player sometimes. :(

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got The Clash back on rotation..."London Calling" on the way to work this morning..."Sandanista" for the drive home.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Pogues; Fairy Tale of New York
Nick Cave and the Badseeds; The Mercy Seat

two indy groups from Europa - The Knife from Sweden, a sort of electronica rock group (love their Heartbeats), and some classy French sass by Camille, a French singer (Ta Doleur from her)

and for that extra hard edge when I need to get pumped, Visual Audio Sensory Theatre (V.A.S.T.) and specifically their song Touched.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
The Pogues; Fairy Tale of New York
Nick Cave and the Badseeds; The Mercy Seat
Two great albums.

I've been a huge Nick Cave fan since '85...I've seen him a dozen times or more in concert...first time in '85 for the "Tupelo" tour, his first Bad Seeds tour...he did an incredible version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door".

"The Mercy Seat" is a great album...my favorite used to be "Tender Prey" until "Murder Ballads" came out...then he topped everything with "Abatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus".

I love the scene in "Wings of Desire" where he performs on stage.

Semper Fi!
Scott

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Got John Cales Paris 1919 on right now and Lou Reeds Transformer next....going through a post Velvets thing

For Nick Cave,You cant beat The Birthday Party one of Australias great bands,the only Boys next door album and their EP "he haw" run a close second

I saw the Birthday Party a couple of times in the early 80s one was at the Paddo town hall,that gig was just chaotic the other ones at the Sydney Trade union club were'nt too bad either.

Dont know about the solo stuff,the Bad seeds cds are ok

Avalon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Birthday Party were great Aysi$. I remember seeing the Happy Hate Me Nots et al at the Trade Union, you just brought back some good memories ! I'd forgotten about that place.:)

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
yep it was a great place three levels of music and grog,and you could play on full size billiards tables on level two after braveing it in a what a 1930s lift.

So many great bands played there,went to two fantastic new years parties just cant remember what years,way way better than crappy big days out

I think the hate me nots are playing again

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Next five:

Magic Numbers - Forever Lost
The Sundays - Hideous Towns
Baby Bird - Good Night
The Long Blondes - Once and Never Again
The Strokes - On the Other Side

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
aysi$ said:
For Nick Cave,You cant beat The Birthday Party one of Australias great bands,the only Boys next door album and their EP "he haw" run a close second
They were good yes, but not as great as The Go Betweens, still the best aussie band around imo ;)

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
ok at the risk of getting pounded

Top ten Aussie Bands (this week)

no order

The Saints
Radio Birdman
The Eastern Dark
The Scientist
The Masters Apprentices
The Birthday party
Sunnyboys
The Thought Criminals
The Hard ons
and yes The Go betweens

sorry to the Church,easybeats,the Sports,Beast of burbon and you am i

something different next week

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Los Planetas - Dulces sueños
The Chameleons - Second Skin
Queens of the Stone Age - Go with the Flow

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Back for the Attack by Dokken and then Skyscraper by DLR

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
aysi$ said:
Yes...The Birthday Party was awesome ("Junkyard" and the EP with "Deep in the Woods" and "Mutiny in Paradise" are my favorites)...I'm going to be converting some of my old vinyl albums over to digital format, and my Birthday Party albums (as well as the Boys Next Door) are on the top of my "must" list.

The Bad Seeds are a totally different sound than The Birthday party...I sometimes miss the racousness of TBP, but Nick has matured into an incredible story teller.

I was sad to see that Blixa Bargeld is no longer with the Bad Seeds...I miss his tortured guitar sound.

Semper Fi!
Scott

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
:( I feel so mainstream -- I was listening to INXS this morning while getting ready for work.... damn I hate it when that happens :D

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
aysi$ said:
ok at the risk of getting pounded

Top ten Aussie Bands (this week)

no order

The Saints
Radio Birdman
The Eastern Dark
The Scientist
The Masters Apprentices
The Birthday party
Sunnyboys
The Thought Criminals
The Hard ons
and yes The Go betweens

sorry to the Church,easybeats,the Sports,Beast of burbon and you am i

something different next week
Much respect to Australia and their wealth of great music.

Don't forget the Bon Scott era AC/DC (sorry, but after Bon I can hardly stand them).

Oh...and how could I forget to give you guys props for having some of the most beautiful women in the world! :love:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
King Scott said:
Oh...and how could I forget to give you guys props for having some of the most beautiful women in the world! :love:
no offense to Mim, but we've also got some of the most psychopathic.

I was engaged to one of them :kotz:

/bitter rant

give me a Euro girl any day! Or an american - though I knew plenty of those while I was at uni ;)

<insert sleazy lech smiley> :laugh:

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I do a mean version of 'TnT' ---so if there is ever a demand for Bon Scott impersonators ....

well hear that JR and MA -- get me an agent, stat....

As for my sig here (eg "Soon" --- 'The man is back in town, ain't no messin' around...' I have just a bureaucratic hurdle that -and well I guess according to Ice Hockey NSW I'll still be considered an 'Import' -at least for awhile.

I also made up my mind -- tomorrow - aka skating day (where I go out and spend some hours at open skate -and also start my weekend early) -I am playing nothing but INXS although there is a group that did a tune called 'Treaty' a little while ago that Mim sent me- that -- I think I can do like some footwork to the beat ( a pretty mean task if I do say so) - I only wish they had it on the rink's sound system so it did not look like I was like freaking out of something :eek:

Come to think of it - that might work to for when I start skating around and doing my Angus Young moves :smoke: