Music: what are you Listening to now?

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
trauth116 said:
Now you know JR you don't listen to the words -- it is more like an absorption process -when you are getting pysched to go up and do some heavy duty -occasionally violent -type sport is all ...
heavy duty violent sport while swathed in wads of padding. When you come down we'll take you down the park for a couple of games of AFL and rugby :D - or sign you up for the local team; hell, pre-season trainign hurts more than ice hockey and grid-iron :devil:

I doubt Pavarotti will ever do a cover of it -- unfortuntaly...
heh, I got a Katherine Jenkins email survey thing asking what songs she should cover on her next album. Thunderstruck was my number one choice :laugh: (Somehow I don't think I'll be hearing that anytime soon...)

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
just going to chime in here about American Football and the misconception about the gear and injuries

I played Rugby League in my younger years,started at 7 i think and stopped playing at 19,broke my nose and dislocated a couple of fingers,played in the fowards and the backs

Then in 1983 watched the superbowl and loved it,how could a wargamer not?.So a good mate and myself searched for a game and found that a league did in fact play in Sydney.We played for the mighty Bondi Raiders,i played Outside LB,strong Safety and halfback.There were a few ex yanks and we were coached by a great guy who was in the Marines,he was a fantastic coach who really opened my eyes to this game and how to play sports in general,

The thing about US football and what a lot of aussies dont get is the way its played,each play is about 10 -15 sec of action,explosive action,to me its one of the greatest team sports in so much that if each player completes his assignment for this play on offence or defence good things happen,if you miss a block or blow a coverage then the team suffers

I played 4 years and i never had so much fun in my life,and never copped so many injuries,you get hit all the time fighting off blocks,making tackles,diving for fumbles and interceptions it is just chaos in that play between the whistle you are hit and you hit,dont let anybody tell you its not hard or you dont have to be fit,you have to be 100% each play

so its not a pussies sport just because you wear the gear,if anything it gives you a false sense of security,we had many guys give it up after one practice match,and i played with a few lower grade League players who could not believe how tough it was,and we were just a bunch of park hacks really,We had Marcus Allen and Guy Benjamin come down to training one Saturday doing some promo work for Channel 10 and they just looked huge,and they could both throw the football

anyway sorry about that i know its a music thread.I've got Black and Blue playing now,i dont think this album gets as many wraps as their other seventies stuff but its a bit of a gem

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ivan Rapkinov said:
heavy duty violent sport while swathed in wads of padding. When you come down we'll take you down the park for a couple of games of AFL and rugby :D - or sign you up for the local team; hell, pre-season trainign hurts more than ice hockey and grid-iron :devil:

heh, I got a Katherine Jenkins email survey thing asking what songs she should cover on her next album. Thunderstruck was my number one choice :laugh: (Somehow I don't think I'll be hearing that anytime soon...)

Well you never took a puck in the nuts --it goes -somewhere of over 100 km pH on avg - to somewhat faster if playing against someone really pretty good. Of course come to think of it - it is better to give than receive.

Come to think of it - I think I did end up cracking some guys ribs with a nice big hit behind the net once - hey they didn't keep their head up -and pow they went flying ... er unfortunately it was a team mate of mine and it was practice -- :( er oops ...

Oh yeh and --anyone can run ...

Yeh well I want the Wiggles to cover Big Balls... so there :p

Last edited:

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
trauth116 said:
Well you never took a puck in the nuts --it goes -somewhere of over 100 km pH on avg - to somewhat faster if playing against someone really pretty good. Of course come to think of it - it is better to give than receive.
heh, that's why we play cricket :D

Come to think of it - I think I did end up cracking some guys ribs with a nice big hit behind the net once - hey they didn't keep their head up -and pow they went flying ... er unfortunately it was a team mate of mine and it was practice -- :( er oops ...

Oh yeh and --anyone can run ...
that is true :laugh:

aysi$: aussie rules I've found to be more violent than rugby, simple because there's more running, and harder hits at speed. Btw, I played cornerback for one of the local teams here for a season, though I'm not really built for the sport (tall and lean vs short and stocky) - I still play ruck in Aussie rules - got the broken nose atm to prove it too :D To little raccoon eyes from trying to duck a straight arm tackle :laugh:

Yeh well I want the Wiggles to cover Big Balls... so there :p[/QUOTE]

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Aussie Rules- now I will give you this much -it is a fast sport - right up there in tempo with hockey..

Foggy

Reaction score
:laugh: Thanks - long day at work - almost spit out my beer at the Wiggles covering AC/DC:kotz:
Edit: Easter present from my kids - David Gilmours new CD - some good riffs - but also some really lame music :(

Last edited:

Steph

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Billy Talent - Lies just finished. Now listening to Light With A Sharpened Edge - The Used.

Btw, does anyone else here listen to Billy Talent? I really liked Red Flag that's on Burnout Legends, but their new album's not out till June 27th.

Foggy

Reaction score
Foggy said:
:laugh: Thanks - long day at work - almost spit out my beer at the Wiggles covering AC/DC:kotz:
Edit: Easter present from my kids - David Gilmours new CD - some good riffs - but also some really lame music :(
Having now sat in terrible traffic for 2 days on Rt 495 - it's starting to grow on me - esp. track 4 -" Take a Breath" - classic PF :love:

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Whatever I played tonight - am pretty sure it was Rosenrot by Rammstein ... worked -- I played Defenseman all night - usually the left side -but a couple of shifts on the right side; I ate forwards and centering passes all night -and kept life easy for my fellow back liner by keeping the puck in the offensive zone most of the night. It was by far my best game yet.

On the other hand I suppose it helps to get your skates sharpened once in awhile ... :cool:

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Been listening to my sons Arctic Monkeys cd,they are not inventing the wheel but it sounds good,cool tunes

also the new Flamin lips cd is getting a run

good to hear about your game Steve,there is a league here so you will feel at home

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I know Mark - I already scoped out the Sydney Bears' sites -- I might even be a little better than their Senior C team which is all I was thinking I was shooting for.

I think a major prob for me was skating so long on dull skate blades- I had them ground -and -well whoa- it is like I am twice as fast and agile....

Yesterday I had throw back day - a long time ago when I was into playing in leagues - before I took over a 10 year break from the game I was into the Oils - so yesterday it was:

Diesel and Dust -plus Blue Sky Mining I was flying, and damned if I didn't make enough slush for a slurpee ony my boots (too bad there were quite a few little kids out there - not that I mind kids on an ice rink -- but I know I could have really gone all out if the ice were a little less congested.... but it felt real good

:cool: