Music: what are you Listening to now?

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Papa Roach - just aggressive enough to get me pysched up for my first actual hockey action in close to 7 or 8 years I guess....

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The Streets - The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
:/ Actually I am thinking I might better dredge up Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls --- orRide the Lightning -- I am feeling that I cannot build up enough aggression :eek: for tonight ... ok gotta run - yee ha ... (er oops - just slipped out)

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Arthur Schnabel plays Schubert's Impromtus D899 and D935. For anyone interested in getting to know Schubert, these piano pieces would not be a bad start at all. Melodic and poetic, and divine. God's voice was taken up by Bach, joked around with by Mozart lovingly still mostly respectfully and then comes Schubert who has no need for anything but the most simple beauty, no cleverness.

And Arthur Schnabel... there are a many fantastic recordings with extremely gifted piano players; I have to say Schnabel is outstanding. For the a good Bach intro, look at one of my previous posts. (Not trying to recruit really ;) )

Last edited:

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
mangus2000 said:
Gotta say hats to King Scott.
I havn't listened to Locust Abortion Technician in years.
Used to love that record, have it but havnt got an LP player any more DAMN:eek:

Currently listeniong to Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Pixies (best band that ever lived :love: )
Dan;

I was in the same boat...tons of stuff on vinyl that I could no longer listen to...then my wife signed up on e-music.com...it is a subscription service, but they had all of the early Butthole Surfers on there...all the stuff that I could not find on CD...I went nuts and downloaded their first four albums. Got to listen to songs I hadn't been able to hear in years! "Mexican Caravan", "Human Cannon Ball", "Sweet Loaf", "I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas", "The Shaw Sleeps In Lee Harvey's Grave", "22 Going on 23"...man, I sure missed those songs. I got to see them in concert twice...great shows both times, except Gibby nearly set the curtains above the stage on fire.

Hats off to you for the nod to the Pixies...Surfer Rosa is still one of my favorite albums. I got to meet Frank Black years ago when my friend's band opened for him when he was doing a solo show.

Current listening today...The Jesus & Mary Chain "Automatic".

Semper Fi!
Scott

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Lyre of Orpheus.

For the drive home tonight...The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bullettin.

Semper Fi!
Scott

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Went to town over Easter.came home with these goodies

Talking heads-Fear of music and remain in light

the first 4 of their albums have been remastered and have a extra cd,looking foward to the first two to come out

flamin lips's new one

Sufjan Stevens- illinoise

and a Johnny Cash box set of Sun recordings

and a little egg for the cheese and kisses

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
King Scott said:
Dan;

I was in the same boat...tons of stuff on vinyl that I could no longer listen to...then my wife signed up on e-music.com...it is a subscription service, but they had all of the early Butthole Surfers on there...all the stuff that I could not find on CD...I went nuts and downloaded their first four albums. Got to listen to songs I hadn't been able to hear in years! "Mexican Caravan", "Human Cannon Ball", "Sweet Loaf", "I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas", "The Shaw Sleeps In Lee Harvey's Grave", "22 Going on 23"...man, I sure missed those songs. I got to see them in concert twice...great shows both times, except Gibby nearly set the curtains above the stage on fire.

Hats off to you for the nod to the Pixies...Surfer Rosa is still one of my favorite albums. I got to meet Frank Black years ago when my friend's band opened for him when he was doing a solo show.

Current listening today...The Jesus & Mary Chain "Automatic".

Semper Fi!
Scott
Scott,

Next time you come over, bring an LP or two and I'll digitize them for you. This includes surface-noise ruduction, pop/click removal, and conversion to any format you like (.wav, .mp3, etc.)

I've been doing this recently for a lot of my old LPs. This weekend I found in my collection an out of print Blues at Newport Folk Festival (1963) LP that's very nice. Can't get some of this stuff anymore.

I've also been burning some of the stuff that I don't feel like repurchasing on CD (why shlould I?), like The Who's Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, Duke Ellington's Blanton/Webster Years (4 LPs), Minor Threat, The Angry Samoans, and lots of Mosaic jazz multi-LP sets.

Anybody who's interested in knowing more about how to do this, just ask.

My next goal is to add 78 rpm capability. I just need a 78 rpm player. :-b

Oh, P.S., Scott: I've got a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone on tap that is DEAD NUTS! Now you want to come down eh?!

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matt Romey said:
Scott,

Next time you come over, bring an LP or two and I'll digitize them for you. This includes surface-noise ruduction, pop/click removal, and conversion to any format you like (.wav, .mp3, etc.)

I've been doing this recently for a lot of my old LPs. This weekend I found in my collection an out of print Blues at Newport Folk Festival (1963) LP that's very nice. Can't get some of this stuff anymore.

I've also been burning some of the stuff that I don't feel like repurchasing on CD (why shlould I?), like The Who's Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, Duke Ellington's Blanton/Webster Years (4 LPs), Minor Threat, The Angry Samoans, and lots of Mosaic jazz multi-LP sets.

Anybody who's interested in knowing more about how to do this, just ask.

My next goal is to add 78 rpm capability. I just need a 78 rpm player. :-b

Oh, P.S., Scott: I've got a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone on tap that is DEAD NUTS! Now you want to come down eh?!
Matt;

You've been holding out on me! :laugh: I am *so* there for your homebrew! :toast:

Are you able to burn them onto CD's? If not, do you have i-tunes? I could borrow my wife's i-pod and use that to get the digital versions back to my house, to copy onto my computer and CD's at a later time.

I'm gonna send you an e-mail tonight when I get home. I *definately* want to take you up on your offer.

The e-music.com deal is not too bad...something like $20 per month for 40 downloads...you can make incrimental increases in the number of downloads without too much more money (something like another 40 downloads for $15)...my wife knows all the details.

I might have some stuff that you would like to copy for yourself as well...I found my original Social Distortion single of "1945" when I was moving, and the "Someone Got Their Head Kicked In" compilation. Some odd and obscure stuff as well...ever hear of Adrenaline O.D. from Florida? Got a bunch of early Toy Dolls also.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
King Scott said:
Are you able to burn them onto CD's? If not, do you have i-tunes? I could borrow my wife's i-pod and use that to get the digital versions back to my house, to copy onto my computer and CD's at a later time.
I can do either. I have an iPOD, thus I have iTunes. I never paid for the music download portion.

King Scott said:
I might have some stuff that you would like to copy for yourself as well...I found my original Social Distortion single of "1945" when I was moving, and the "Someone Got Their Head Kicked In" compilation. Some odd and obscure stuff as well...ever hear of Adrenaline O.D. from Florida? Got a bunch of early Toy Dolls also.
Piece of cake. That "1945" single might be worth some dough, you know. I saw one at Vinyl Solution in Huntington Beach for $50, and that was a few years ago. It has "Under My Thumb" on the flip, right? Check out prices at www.gemm.com. ... Yeah, I just looked it up, "1945" starts at $44. "Head Kicked In" is selling for $34.50.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm listening to a soundtrack at the moment -- The Phantom of the Opera (the broadway musical).

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matt Romey said:
That "1945" single might be worth some dough, you know. I saw one at Vinyl Solution in Huntington Beach for $50, and that was a few years ago. It has "Under My Thumb" on the flip, right?
Yep...that's the one.

By the way...did I ever tell you that I set Mike Ness up with his water account when he bought a house in Costa Mesa? It was back around '93...I was working for the city water department in customer service...I see this gorgeous mid '50's Cadillac come creeping into the parking lot...slammed down low, chopped and dropped roof, throatty rumble from the straight pipes, black "rat rod" paint job with ghost flames...*definately* catches my eye and interrest...out steps a guy in black jeans and t-shirt with full sleve and neck tatts...looks familiar. By the time he gets to the door, I'm pretty sure it's Mike Ness. He comes in and states that he just moved into his house and needs to have the water billing set up in his name...I ask him his name and he says "Mike..." and I say "...Ness, right?" He looks a little stunned and says "yeah...how'd you know?" I tell him I'm a big Social D fan and I start gushing like a little girl about how great he is, and which shows I'd seen. We chat for about 10 minutes about his band and other punk bands like D.I. and such...at one point I tell him that I even have the "1945" single...he says "you should hold onto that...it's worth some money...we didn't make that many." One of the greatest brushes I had with a star...really nice guy to boot.

Semper Fi!
Scott

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
For my Pre-Weekend tune up skate I had all my Triumph albums burnt to a CD - the variance actually worked pretty good...

Think it will be some Akka Dakka for the drive over for Tuesday night's hockey game... Thunderstruck seems to strike a chord with me....

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
trauth116 said:
Think it will be some Akka Dakka for the drive over for Tuesday night's hockey game... Thunderstruck seems to strike a chord with me....
lol, I've only ever heard it sung as "Chunderstruck" :laugh:

Steph

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oooh!! I really like Nymphetamine. I really should download it. :D

Anyways, right now i'm listening to We Are Scientists - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt. Then, i will be listening to Yellowcard: Lights and Sounds album. ;)

PSP_X5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Touch the Sky- Kanye West ft Lupe Fiasco!

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Now you know JR you don't listen to the words -- it is more like an absorption process -when you are getting pysched to go up and do some heavy duty -occasionally violent -type sport is all ...

I doubt Pavarotti will ever do a cover of it -- unfortuntaly... As for Akka -I mean think about it - the majority of their songs are about either hell, or testicles...