Music: what are you Listening to now?

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
^ I prefer the one that nails modern times..

Up against the wall Motherfucker? Umm hmm well said. IMO the single best political album ever recorded.. the vinyl literally drips with anger and angst. The perfect album for the times.. though I fall into there is no revolution.. only evolution camp. Anger and violence can change times... but time WILL change things. We are just in a bad place right now.. the present unclear.. but the future is rather clear.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to many new bands catch my interest but there´s always one or two that I turn my ear to...

Red/Mike
Good group... saw them on that tour and enjoyed the spectacle of seeing my wife toss her bra at Glenn Hughes who has had a thing for him since the D.P days.

not many bands today? Have you checked out my favorite modern band. Best guitarist hands down in rock today who reminds us what a great talent and a Stratocaster can do... Reine is a fucking God.. and has hair to die for.. made him cough up a beer when I told him that after a show one time hahah.

but the group is not just flat out balls rockers ..they have one of the keenest ears for melody of any I've heard in many years.

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
It reminds me of the Electro Harmonics Big Muff I had when I was 16, and that´s about it. Too many bands now days trying to sound like the 70´s, not a bad thing but nothing new.

For you, and recorded were I was born. I live 80km BCN now...

I would rather listen to Mars Volta for pure fuzz eargasams and inovation for that matter...

Red

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hahah.. well you did post a clip of a group that has 70's nostalgia so deep in it I swore I could see the coke on Glenn's upper lip... when he wasn't screaming between every song.. we're bringing back the glory days.

yeah Dungen has a 70ish 'sound'... why not.. it rules... but stylistically... more more akin to Bo Hansson in its stylistic approach to music than the typical 70's groups.

Now if you are looking for something modern that sounds like nothing else before... you may know them... if not.. check out Battles. When Mirrored hit in 2006 or 2007 it was nothing.. nothing any of us had heard.

and far from being a one hit album wonder... my favorite from their latest album...

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Yeah I agree Black Country Communion has a 70´s vibe indeed, but at the same time it´s fresh. In other words, there doing what has been done better and fresher, to say it in some way.

It´s like when someone does a cover song, and I used to tell this to my band, if you can´t beat the original, don´t bother. Not that todays bands are doing bad, but we older ones have already been there, so one can rediscover his past or not, but the fact is weve been there, they are just discovering it for the first time, and ok Iam cool with that, but nothing extremly new and/or original for me.

And then there´s Mr. Bungle/Fantomas....

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
To be honest, I rather have all these new bands revisiting the 70´s then what happen in the late 90´s were music lost it´s bearings. ?

Care,

Mike

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
My roots, Pentagram/Sabbath...

No need to put Sabbath on do we? :D

Red

Last edited:

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My roots, Pentagram/Sabbath...

No need to put Sabbath on do we? :D

Red
hah... need? Hell yeah.. Symptom of the Universe? With the amp on 11... hammer of the Gods kind of shit man. love knocking the wedding pictures off the wall to that one.

My roots.. on my short list of most perfect albums ever recorded.. when asked what led to being a musician.. I point to this album.

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Oh yeah, It´s "Marvin Groove" ;-) Well before the Sabbath curse hit me at the age of 16, I was more into Earth Wind and Fire, KC and a bunch of other bands of the 80´s disco scene. I almost had a afro on my head at 14 LOL, but my friends told me I wasent good at break dancing haha! So went the skateboard and Sabbath route. I was in Florida at the time, till I finished high school.

I freaked out when I heard that Mr. George Benson just came out with a new album, although it´s not his own music, it´s Mr. Benson in all his class...

Red

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
If CBS knew that there would be Jaguar and other remakes now day´s, they would be pulling there hair LOL. I had a bass just like the one below, it was even the same color. Brand was "Kalamazoo", which I think was a side brand of Fender. I think Fender was first settled in the town of Kalamazoo, so it sort of makes sense.

Darn the summer heat!

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Opps! Made a mess of my memories, but found the bass, and it´s Gibson, and not Fender. Well Iam getting old LOL...

If we could have all the gear we had back then! But who knew!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because
"You feel like talking to someone
Who knows the difference between right and wrong"