Music in video games.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I just want to get something off my chest here.

I HATE THE MUSIC IN VIDEO GAMES!!

There, I've said it.

Is anyone else terminally annoyed about the constantly repetitious and overly bombastic nature of video game music?

I picked up a copy of "Perimeter" a couple of days ago and I've just been thrashing my way through a small battle (none of this tutorial lark, I like to jump in at the deep end) and, apart from the fact that I'm crap at it (as usual) and keep losing (but getting better) I'm getting REALLY wound up with the music.

I would say that on 90% of games the music is one of the first casualties as far as I am concerned. I hate it. *

Why do they bother? It all sounds the same - it's all crap and it all repeats itself over and over and over again and all it succeeds in doing is winding me up.

I'm so angry right now, I think I'm going to go and blow up a small country.

:bang:

Dr. S.

* There are only two notable exceptions to this rule - the music in the Star Wars TIE Fighter games, which is fantastic, likewise the Star Wars Jedi Knight games. Notice a connection here?

suchey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turning off the music is the first thing I do when setting up a game. I don't like it either.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by suchey
Turning off the music is the first thing I do when setting up a game. I don't like it either.
ditto! Even if it is good music i tend to find it distracting while playing.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Marines
Well Doc get ready for Doom 3. The music was preformed by the London Symphony Orchestra or so I've heard.
I had heard was that Doom 3 was done by two of the members of Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor actually wanted to have no music in the game because it detracts from the experience, but he was going to manage all of the sounds, however he had to drop from the project.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most games I have don't have bad music so I leave it on... Star Wars obviously... and CoD. And DF:Black Hawk Down has music that sounds like a cross between movie music and traditional Somali music... Most games I think don't die from music... its plot I have a problem with. Final Fantasy III great game 2d sprites wonderful story... FF VII, VII, IX DONT GET ME STARTED NEW GRAPHICS DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER GAME (if the plot sucks horribly)

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VII, VIII, and IX all had good stories. The only thing out of all of those games that lacked was the game system (the draw system) in VIII.

_Brill_

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by gobeavs
If you like orchestra, Call of Duty has some good stuff in it. You can listen here- http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/cod.htm
I know it is your favorite game and all Dr. S :)
Call of Duty is OK, but the same composer did the entire MoH series up to Pacific Assault. Michael Giacchino is flippin' awesome. He's the John Williams of video game music. If you want any of his stuff I have all of it. :thumb:

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've run across some games that had a pretty good soundtrack... namely the MoH series... and then there has been those that you just can't ger out of your head like Pax Imperia...

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When playing a game, no matter if its a war game or if its a sports game, I will turn all sound off and use my satalite radio. I cant stand the music they put in games. Its either rap or some form of heavy metal. :bang:

_Brill_

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
When playing a game, no matter if its a war game or if its a sports game, I will turn all sound off and use my satalite radio. I cant stand the music they put in games. Its either rap or some form of heavy metal. :bang:
See my post above...and no, it's not always rap or heavy metal. Maybe for sports games, but not everything else.