Murphy's Laws Of ASL Combat

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few recent threads have gotten me thinking about truisms of ASL play and how they relate to Murphy's Laws of Combat. For the few of you that may not know of Murphy's Laws of Combat, these are truisms of military service as seen through the eyes of the average "Joe". As varied as scenarios and our cardboard confrontations are there are always a few things that always naturally seem to hold true as our "unwritten rules". I'll start out with a few here but feel free to add two or three to the list (don't over-do it, leave some for others). It's my hope we can generate a pretty interesting list.

• The one rule you knew for sure over the years has been revealed by Klas to be completely interpreted wrong.
  • A sniper attack against a stack will always select your leader on a RS DR.
  • If you're wondering where that rocket OBA will drift; it'll drift into your lines.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
An errant die will always land where it can do the most harm.

Especially true bitd rolling in the box top.

Last edited:

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That AFPh shot from your (Acq’d) opponent’s AFV after they wandered into the LOS of your HD and “ready to kill it in when your Prep comes along” 9-1 AL ladened AFV will always be a CH.
Unless you're the one shooting, in which case, your CH will be followed by boxcars on the TK roll.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You try to be clever and get that higher TK number, so roll for special ammunition. The roll would have resulted in a hit with normal ammunition but is not low enough to get the special ammunition. You then roll for normal AP and end up looking at a Double Six.

Seems to be happening a lot to me recently...........and it is incredibly annoying :mad: If the games were not on VASL I would have ground those dice to dust.

Then there is rolling for ESB, Intensive Fire....................I don't do it anymore unless the tank is dead anyway :rolleyes:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe VASL needs a "throw dice away" button and it can keep track of the number of times a player clicked it. Won't change anything but might provide for a little mental pressure release.

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
That AFPh shot from your (Acq’d) opponent’s AFV after they wandered into the LOS of your HD and “ready to kill it in when your Prep comes along” 9-1 AL ladened AFV will always be a CH.
The corollary, of course, is that shots fired solely for acquisition are most likely to come up with a malfunction.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You finally roll a double 1 (for random selection for your opponent's KIA on your squad and leader stack).

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A few recent threads have gotten me thinking about truisms of ASL play and how they relate to Murphy's Laws of Combat. For the few of you that may not know of Murphy's Laws of Combat, these are truisms of military service as seen through the eyes of the average "Joe". As varied as scenarios and our cardboard confrontations are there are always a few things that always naturally seem to hold true as our "unwritten rules". I'll start out with a few here but feel free to add two or three to the list (don't over-do it, leave some for others). It's my hope we can generate a pretty interesting list.
  • A 1KIA result is the game's way of telling you to slow down
  • An original copy of a scenario card outside its page protector is a magnet for a spilled drink or thumb-shaped Cheeto stain
  • LOS is reciprocal - as you're gleefully planning how to gun down his exposed troops, expect he has a plan to do the same to you
  • if you're forced to declare the scenario impossible to win between setup and T1 RPh, you're probably in the right frame of mind
  • if you switch sides and make the same declaration, you're still doing it right
  • no matter how good you think your counter organization is, finding that last vehicle will always take five times as long as finding that first squad

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  • The new guy you finally talked into trying out ASL FtF with you shows up to play with your set with his favorite snack --- Cheetos!
  • That great looking Order of Battle on the scenario card is two units short of what you need to win the game.
  • The 36 firepower column is just there for aesthetic purposes.