Murphy's Laws Of ASL Combat

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Played Peningkibaru Push last night, Japanese mortar's last smoke round perfectly placed on a Matilda II and a squad, DC hero with the last remaining DC survives all fire in the adjacent hex from the squad, tank MG and MA, and a second flanking Matilda II MG and MA, survives more fire from the squad as it enters the hex, DC is perfectly placed against the aerial armor factor of the tank, final TK number is 13, and inevitably the DC is a dud. How I love this game :LOL: There's something about any DR that needs higher than a 12 for success that seems to invert your chances...

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You get to the last turn in that tourney scenario you've been red-hot rolling, and the hotel staff come in to close the room for the night.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You get the perfect shot, for your 88 , and all you hear is click.....when you press the firing stud, or your gun goes off, and it hits the tank, only to be a deflection shot.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Just finished a game from LCP' Gr D'ld 2 Pack - GD9 Taste of Blood.

The village catches fire along with adjacent wheat fields with huge clouds of smoke drifting around. Two recon forces have met in a melee in and around the village which needs to be cleared by the Germans. Three remaining Red Army locations are all surrounded by German infantry, halftracks and armoured cars, or fire. Two of these location are actually Encircled. A melee already exists in one location and I reinforce to bring the odds up to 3:2. Second location has an Encircled Pinned 447 that I jump with a 468 and 9-1, The third location (graveyard) is Encircled and ambushed by another pair of 468s and 8-1.

Results:

Graveyard - Russians eliminated at 2:1
Encircled location - DR 12,.... 447 is pinned but there is still hope as he is no longer GO an cannot Infiltrate.
Existing melee; 3:2 odds,.... DR 12, Red Army 7-0 (wounded) and 237 Infiltrate and remain within VC area.

Last CC Ph of last game turn.

I just shrugged. Then laughed. Then cursed. Then laughed again.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One time Spilky and I were the last ones playing our last game at the Windy City Open, a game of ‘turned away’. It was time for the last DR and needed anything but a twelve to eliminate the last Russian in CC, picked up the dice and got ready to roll and stopped with a funny feeling “I’m going to roll a twelve.” I got out of my chair and walked around the room a little trying to shake off the bad vibes, turned my hat around and probably did some other luck increasing things trying to change it up. Rich kinda looked at me like “ Roll the stupid dice Bob.” I walked up slowly, a small crowd gathers, drop the dice: 12. Told ya so.

Last edited:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One time Spilky and I were the last ones playing our last game at the Windy City Open, a game of ‘turned away’. It was time for the last DR and needed anything but a twelve to eliminate the last Russian in CC, picked up the dice and got ready to roll and stopped with a funny feeling “I’m going to roll a twelve.” I got out of my chair and walked around the room a little trying to shake off the bad vibes, turned my hat around and probably did some other luck increasing things trying to change it up. Rich kinda looked at me like “ Roll the stupid dice Bob.” I walked up slowly, a small crowd gathers, drop the dice: 12. Told ya so.
True Story, I was part of the small crowd that gathered and witnessed it, I tell people about this story all the time

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Matt Book? Of the "Chicago" Books?

(Not to be confused with the Boise Books)

My Gawd, I don't think I've seen you since Chicago 2001 (sez the Canadian guy who came down twice,..... like you'd remember :LOL: )

(Apologies if you are not the Matt Book I'm thinking of).

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If you win Games For Life the company will go under before you do.☹????

A rather special law, applies to only one person. You might call it " Burke's Law ".

Lmfao. Couldn't resist. It was 1960s TV show.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I get all metaphysical when I hear stuff like that. Makes you wonder. Do you create your own reality, or is it just a one in thirty six chance??

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A good quote remembered about 1/2 a second before I dropped the dice for a unnessary DC against Rob Heywoods hopeless defenders was observer Rob Banozic “I’m going to laugh if you roll a snake eyes!” I did roll the eyes and blasted the whole building hex to rubble, including my squad controlling the building up on the second level. Instantly lost a easy win scenario.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A good quote remembered about 1/2 a second before I dropped the dice for a DC against Rob Heywoods defenders was observer Rob Banozic “I’m going to laugh if you roll a snake eyes!” I did roll the eyes and blasted the whole building hex to rubble, including last squad I had controlling the building up on the second level. Instantly lost a easy win scenario.
Lol. Dice, can't live with them, can't play ASL without them.

No matter how the dice mistreat you the joy of the long term stories far outweigh the temporary pain.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"Slamming of the Door" - years back I won this on the last Russian move when my Human Wave was broken up. All I had left to take the building was a 447 adjacent but the Germans were upstairs and I couldn't get them. I had two T26's charge the building in platoon movement,.... sure enough the hex below the German machine gunners was rubbled (coloured dice a 1), killing the last defenders.

The 447 then advanced in for the win.

My, somewhat irate, opponent exclaimed, "you can't plan your attack on rubbling a building hex, that's insane".

Said I, "Call me crazy"

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Saying or even thinking - 'Anything but a dud' is tempting fate.
Depends on the perspective... I seem to find myself on the receiving end continuing that sentence:

'Anything but a dud...'

'... and I am toast.'

Not a tempting thought at all!

von Marwitz

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Every time I have a 10-3 on the boards I have lost them by turn three. And I never get an opportunity to use them. I gave up on placing them with a kill stack...just end up with a broken stack :(

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Every time I have a 10-3 on the boards I have lost them by turn three.
Well, but that is what the -3 signifies. Til Turn 3. You didn't know that?

I have to admit, though, that there is another rules interpretation: "Works best with SAN: 3."

No matter really, because they're done by Turn 3 in both cases.

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just goes to show: Your best SMC always wanders into a "1" Sniper's sights.