multiple Bog checks

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
If one has to pass three Bog checks in one hex each with no DRM, does one take one combined Bog check with no DRM or does one take three separate checks?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Pretty sure it's 3 checks. Not sure about the order though.

I was wrong. (shocker!)

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Do you have an example Jan?
For example Broken Ground is Bog terrain, Light Sand is Bog terrain and Sunken Caves are Bog terrain – all with no extra DRM. If one entered a hex with all three terrain types in it how would one resolve the Bog check(s)?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If one has to pass three Bog checks in one hex each with no DRM, does one take one combined Bog check with no DRM or does one take three separate checks?
I think it might depend on what type of Bog causes there are. E.g., entering Woods with Wire, I think it's only a single Bog DR, add up all the DRM.

Light Sand and Sunken Caves
This some third party product I assume..

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I see nothing in the rulebook to suggest that a vehicle can be subject to more than one bog check due to conditions in existence in the hex entered. Bog check DRM are cumulative and if the DRM are zero, the cumulative DRM to the one bog check is zero. Were it otherwise, how do you deal with the situation where a vehicle bogs twice? Does it need two successful DR to free itself?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think the most you can get is a bog check to cross a hexside, which leaves you in the hex you were in and a bog check in the hex you enter.

If you try to cross bocage into a Woods with wire there will be two separate bog checks, but in different hexes.

I can't think of a situation where a single hex would require two bog checks.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think the most you can get is a bog check to cross a hexside, which leaves you in the hex you were in and a bog check in the hex you enter.

If you try to cross bocage into a Woods with wire there will be two separate bog checks, but in different hexes.

I can't think of a situation where a single hex would require two bog checks.
The only one that I can think of off the top of my head is where bog terrain is adjacent to a marsh hex. Suppose that woods are in that location. In that event, a fully tracked vehicle entering the woods at half its MP allotment would check for bog with a plus three DRM for the woods and a zero modifier for the marsh. If, instead of entering the woods, it used bypass movement, it would just check for bog with a zero modifier for the marsh.

Robert Fabbro

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about Trench and Wire?
Trench on its own is +0
Wire on its own is +2
But is a Wire/Trench combo one roll at +2?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How about Trench and Wire?
Trench on its own is +0
Wire on its own is +2
But is a Wire/Trench combo one roll at +2?
That is exactly the sort of thing I am wondering about. I might send off a Perry Sez....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What happened to the Perry Sez email address? Cannot find it...

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fairly clear from the rules once I thought about it.

8.2 BOG: Bog occurs only when a vehicle fails a Bog Check DR. A vehicle must make a Bog Check as dictated by the Terrain Chart for entering, or exiting or making any VCA change (one Bog DR per hexspine) in, certain terrain types termed Bog hexes

8.21 BOG CHECK: If a Final Bog Check DR is ≥12, the vehicle bogs, is marked with a Bog counter, and must end its MPh immediately. The Original Bog Check DR is subject to the following cumulative DRM:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
What happened to the Perry Sez email address? Cannot find it...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Fairly clear from the rules once I thought about it.

8.2 BOG: Bog occurs only when a vehicle fails a Bog Check DR. A vehicle must make a Bog Check as dictated by the Terrain Chart for entering, or exiting or making any VCA change (one Bog DR per hexspine) in, certain terrain types termed Bog hexes

8.21 BOG CHECK: If a Final Bog Check DR is ≥12, the vehicle bogs, is marked with a Bog counter, and must end its MPh immediately. The Original Bog Check DR is subject to the following cumulative DRM:
I do not find it particularly clear......