Multi Player Gamer? - Gettysburg...

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone up for a multi player game (2 on 2 or 3 on 3) of the Rebels in Gettysburg scenario? I'm itching to use my big wall map for some planning. :)

For those who don't know what I mean, check this out:

http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/gbmaporder.htm

---------------------

Fast file turn arounds are not a must, but a willingness to "stick with it" for a prolonged period of time is. This is a BIG scenario.(#52)

Regards,
Rich

arckon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey Rahamy being newer to ACW can you give me a brief run down of how this works.

1/ Assume one play takes on roll of Overall battle commander. Issues orders to other players?

2/ Each player is issued with certain troops and sections of the map?

3/ How does the sending of PBEM files too each other pan out?

rahamy

Reaction score
arckon said:
1/ Assume one play takes on roll of Overall battle commander. Issues orders to other players?
Sure, here goes...

The break down depends on how the participants want to handle it. Personally I play where you divide the forces up between all the members and then the "commander" for the side is simply the point of contact for the other team for file transfers, etc.

If you have less experienced players though teamed up with a senior player you could have the senior guy "issue orders" and generally "run" the game in that respect. This would probably give a bit more of a historic feel to the experience, but at the same time can take some of the enjoyment out for some people as they will be "forced" to play with another persons style and goals.

2/ Each player is issued with certain troops and sections of the map?
Yes, each player get's certain troops they are responsible for. I then have a group discussions and we hammer out the details of our plan, and certain elements of that plan are assigned to each commander. A thing I always try to do as well is make sure each player has some troops actively involved in the combat, and not having their whole force in reserve.

3/ How does the sending of PBEM files too each other pan out?
I only play in turn mode, as opposed to Phase play. So Turns work much better for this. Simply put it goes like this:

File comes in from opposing team to force Commander. He watches the replay and then sends everyone a copy of the file so they can too. Any necessary comments are transferred now for this round.

Player #2 then conducts all their movement, fire & melee then save the file (but not advance the turn).

File sent to Player #3 and they do all their stuff.

Continue on if more players to a side.

Finally the file goes back to the Commander for the side, they do all their actions, review the field and complete the turn and send it back to the opposing side.

At times adjustments can be made by the force commander to other troops, if need be. But I only do this if playing with a new player and there's something that Really needs fixing.

Note: If you play this style with Phase play you have to a) have everyone do their movement, then the Commander advances the phase to allow the computer to conduct the defensive fire. b) then everyone has to do their offensive fire, c) then everyone has to do their melee's. It effectively tripples the number of e-mails that have to be sent. :OHNO:

Regards,
Rich

Last edited:

rahamy

Reaction score
Great Brent, now we just need a few other willing souls...

Don't be shy guys, step on up! :smoke:

arckon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks Rahamy for info.

Sounds great.

Put me down for 1st reserve if you don't get enough participants. With only a handful of scenario's played wouldn't want to wreck it for the more experienced guys.

I say that in all genuineness.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
arckon said:
Put me down for 1st reserve if you don't get enough participants. With only a handful of scenario's played wouldn't want to wreck it for the more experienced guys.
Don't be silly! You wouldn't wreck it. It's all about having fun! Sign him up Rich!

rahamy

Reaction score
I agree, it's all about enjoying ourselves, so you are in! :)

We just need 1 more...or 3 more, if other guys surface...we'll let it ride through the weekend at least and see who all is interested. :cool:

arckon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
:laugh: Ok, but I will be quoting above posts if my sector folds too badly :confused:

Now let me remember; :hmmm:
Arty worth pittance can sacrifice; Cavalary worth pittance use to protect arty, but only with 100 men units, can sacrifice. :whist:

McHale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll play if you need a player. You'd have to activate me since I haven't been played in some time.

rahamy

Reaction score
Great, that's 4...let's see what the rest of the weekend holds. This scenario is big enough for a 3 on 3 I would think, but if not we'll go forward with the 4 of us.

MGRamseur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be interested. I will accept overall command if noone else has the time to review the final movements before advancing the turns.

rahamy

Reaction score
Great, welcome Matt!

Ok, we've got 6 people, so could everyone on this thread please drop me a line at Rich AT hist-sdc.com and we'll break up into teams and go from there.

I'm thinking we should be able to get into teams, work out the rules and get the first file rolling by this weekend, assuming everyone is around.

Regards,
Rich