Mud/deep snow bog check DRM

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
D8.23:
"...must chance a Bog DR whenever it enters a hex or hexside without benefit of a paved/plowed road/runway hexside... ...The Bog takes place in a hex along the vehicle’s path equal to the dr; e.g., if the dr was a 2, the opponent must declare the vehicle bogged in the second hex (/Bypassed hexside) moved into during that MPh which can cause such a Bog result...."

I.e., the Xth hex moved into "without benefit of a paved/plowed road/runway hexside"

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
So, the consensus seems to be that all terrain-dependent DRMs (meaning, those that are dependent on the terrain being entered/left, not the general state of all terrain on the mapboard) only apply to the "specific" Bog DRs, not to the "whole MPh because of Mud/Deep-Snow" Bog DR?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, the consensus seems to be that all terrain-dependent DRMs (meaning, those that are dependent on the terrain being entered/left, not the general state of all terrain on the mapboard) only apply to the "specific" Bog DRs, not to the "whole MPh because of Mud/Deep-Snow" Bog DR?
That is my understanding at least. In the case of jrv's example there would be three Bog Checks incurred: One for attempting to leave the Stream (B20.46); A second for entering onto the Wire in the woods (B13.42 & B26.42 - If entered via Bypass the Mud/Deep Snow DRM would apply & not the woods); and finally a third (Secret Bog DR D8.23) for Mud/Deep Snow (E3.5-.65/E3.73-.7332). I don't believe the Abrupt Elevation Change would entail any additional Bog DRMs as its effects are limited to MP expenditures and could only be accomplished leaving a Stream and moving to a hill hex of a higher elevation than the crest level of the Stream & not at a Hill Double Crest (B10.52). JMHO

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I need to revive this thread for confirmation I am doing my bog checks correctly. EC are Mud. I move a tank through a vineyard hex, which requires its own bog check. Do I add the +1 for mud, even though this is not an Open Ground hex?

TIA

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I need to revive this thread for confirmation I am doing my bog checks correctly. EC are Mud. I move a tank through a vineyard hex, which requires its own bog check. Do I add the +1 for mud, even though this is not an Open Ground hex?

TIA
The D8.21 Bog Check DRM Table on the Chapter D Divider gives us a +1DRM for mud² with ² being "NA if on paved road or in building hex".

Thus I'd say that the +1 DRM applies even for the vineyard hex.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't think "EC are Mud" = "Ground is specified as soft², mud², or snow-covered³" I believe E3.6 needs to be in effect or an SSR that specifically spells it out.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't think "EC are Mud" = "Ground is specified as soft², mud², or snow-covered³" I believe E3.6 needs to be in effect or an SSR that specifically spells it out.
I think otherwise, or else the ASLRB is abusing the English language. "EC are mud" makes the ground to mud. If that is not the same as "Ground is specified as mud", it is abusive. I'll ask Perry.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think otherwise, or else the ASLRB is abusing the English language. "EC are mud" makes the ground to mud. If that is not the same as "Ground is specified as mud", it is abusive. I'll ask Perry.
Is Klas perhaps thinking of E3 which is dealing with DYO scenarios?

"Weather dictated by the Weather Chart always takes precedence over the determination of EC (B25.5); e.g., an EC result of "Snow" or "Mud" does not activate those respective weather rules if the Temperate Weather Chart result/SSR listing (or non-listing) is Clear—only their EC DRM/drm applies. "

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Actually I think that the "EC are XX" pretty much only affects Kindling/Spreading #s.
Are you aware of any scenarios where EC are specified as mud but the ground is not actually muddy? Is it not the case that mud conditions arise from weather as opposed to SSR.?
D8.23 "When scenario Weather (E3) is "Mud" or "Deep Snow", a vehicle [EXC: motorcycle (15.47); Aerosans (17.24)] must chance a Bog DR whenever it enters a hex or hexside without benefit of a paved/plowed road/runway hexside".

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
E3.6 comes into effect when an SSR says that "Weather is Mud".

I've only found one (official) scenario where it says "EC are Mud" and it doesn't also (in one way or another) spell out that E3.6 is in effect as well. So they usually go hand-in-hand.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
E3.6 comes into effect when an SSR says that "Weather is Mud".

I've only found one (official) scenario where it says "EC are Mud" and it doesn't also (in one way or another) spell out that E3.6 is in effect as well. So they usually go hand-in-hand.
Which one is that, out of curiosity?