MTRs vs AFVs?

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
I cannot make sense of the mortar rules vs AFVs. There must be some fundamental concept I do not see.

Can a 50 MTR SW hurt an AFV with 1 armor or not?

What about half tracks, which are open top?

Etc.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Definitely. HE can be a lot of trouble versus AFV, even if the chance to kill the AFV is small.

Use C1.55. Your 1 AF AFV would be attacked on the 2FP (half of 6/50mm) column of the IFT with a -1 DRM for low AF vehicles. A KIA destroys the AFV (so DR 2), and a K/# or one greater than a K/# (DR 3 or 4) would be automatic shock/Immobilized depending on location of hit.

An OT vehicle would get an additional -1 and exposed PRC are always succeptable to a collateral attack.

[Oops! Forgot to half it for ATT fire (thanks Pyth)!...now corrected above]

Last edited:

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely. HE can be a lot of trouble versus AFV, even if the chance to kill the AFV is small.

Use C1.55. Your 1 AF AFV would be attacked on the 6(50mm) column of the IFT with a -1 DRM for low AF vehicles. A KIA destroys the AFV (so DR 2 or 3), and a K/# or one greater than a K/# (DR 4 or 5) would be automatic shock/Immobilized depending on location of hit.

An OT vehicle would get an additional -1 and exposed PRC are always succeptable to a collateral attack
Shouldn't the FP of the Mortar get halved for using ATT? I believe the 50mm mortar would use the 2FP column (or 3 FP for the IIFT inclined).... which still leaves the 50mm effective against a 1 armor AFV. (2 to kill, 3 or 4 for shock/immob).

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back in design your own days, I bought 4 60mm MTR, and 2 82mm MTR and set up a MTR ambush for my opponents Tiger tanks. He drove them to the top of a hill where he expected to dominate the battle field, they never moved again. Stuns, shocks, immobilized, dead

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German 81mm that disassembles to 5PP SW... might be my favorite weapon in the game. 3rof 8fp (with 32fp! critical hits) -1 vs woods, HA na, range 60! smoke 8, can be used with spotter... and as discussed, even works as AT weapon -- and you can fold it up and run away when necessary... What's not to like!?!?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
German 81mm that disassembles to 5PP SW... might be my favorite weapon in the game. 3rof 8fp (with 32fp! critical hits) -1 vs woods, HA na, range 60! smoke 8, can be used with spotter... and as discussed, even works as AT weapon -- and you can fold it up and run away when necessary... What's not to like!?!?
About all 81-82 mm mortars work the same.
The Russian one is even superior: you an assemble it and fire one shot (or the opposite) in the same phase.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russian one is even superior: you an assemble it and fire one shot (or the opposite) in the same phase.
Matt Book and I were playing a Russian paratrooper scenario and on the drop turn the dm 82mm mortar landed (pure luck) in the same hex as the crew. We did a rare glance at the weapon notes and learned a new cool rule when we noticed the free one shot after/before it assembles/disassembles. So next turn Matt assembles and takes his free shot= Critical hit massacre snake eyes into my fortified stone building, followed by laughter. This is why I will never forget this rule.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the same game this also happened. This scenario included a giant German halftrack (sdkfz 7) towing a 88L, also a 10-2, 9-1, 6+1,crew, 4-4-7, and a radio inside. On this night drop scenario’s first turn a Russian ATR drifted into the hex of a Russian paratrooper squad who promptly picked it up and took Matt’s first shot of the game (double NVR range for moving vehicles) for a back to back snake eyes out of the darkness for a burning wreck. Biggest slaughter with one ATR shot ever.

Last edited:

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just don't so many shots that your opponent wins. I know a guy who shot his MTR so much his opponent got a lot of snipers which killed much of is force. :giggle: