Moving units, residual fire power, smoke, and DRMs

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

In the attached image of board 22, two British units, labeled units #1 and #2, are moving separately and sequentially from T6, across the bridge, and towards the German 467 in P8. Neither unit is using Assault Movement. #1 moves into S7 and draws fire from the 467. It survives and a 2-residual-FP counter is placed in S7. Unit #1 moves to Q8, survives additional defensive fire, and drops a smoke grenade in its own hex. Unit #2 now moves into S7.

Q: how do I handle the residual fire power attack in S7 against unit #2?

Attempting my own answer: 1) I don't think the subsequent placement of smoke changes the residual firepower counter in S7, and; 2) I think unit #2 is now attacked with 2RFP, +1DRM (-1 FFNAM, +2 smoke).

Follow on: I think that if the smoke in Q8 had been placed first, before the attack in S7, then I think there would not have been any residual fire because the +2 smoke DRM would have reduced the residual to 0.

Any mistakes in my handling the mechanics? How about the tactics? Took lots of British courage and some poor DRs by the Germans, but it seems that the Brits might get at least one across the bridge (stream is flooded).

Thanks and cheers

1547234307267.png

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In the attached image of board 22, two British units, labeled units #1 and #2, are moving separately and sequentially from T6, across the bridge, and towards the German 467 in P8. Neither unit is using Assault Movement. #1 moves into S7 and draws fire from the 467. It survives and a 2-residual-FP counter is placed in S7. Unit #1 moves to Q8, survives additional defensive fire, and drops a smoke grenade in its own hex. Unit #2 now moves into S7.

Q: how do I handle the residual fire power attack in S7 against unit #2?

Attempting my own answer: 1) I don't think the subsequent placement of smoke changes the residual firepower counter in S7, and; 2) I think unit #2 is now attacked with 2RFP, +1DRM (-1 FFNAM, +2 smoke).

Follow on: I think that if the smoke in Q8 had been placed first, before the attack in S7, then I think there would not have been any residual fire because the +2 smoke DRM would have reduced the residual to 0.

Any mistakes in my handling the mechanics? How about the tactics? Took lots of British courage and some poor DRs by the Germans, but it seems that the Brits might get at least one across the bridge (stream is flooded).

View attachment 6753
Ignoring firelanes, residual FP is never affected by SMOKE placed outside its Location after it has been placed. Unit two would face a two down two attack in S7. Residual FP other than firelanes have no memory of how they were placed. If SMOKE existed in Q8 before the attack from P8 to S7, you are right it would have reduced the amount of FP left for the residual in S7.

Whether or not it was a good move depends on the situation. If the British are defending, it was probably a foolish move.

JR

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, partial credit! Thankfully, my college diploma does not read, "With an impressive accumulation of partial credits, we award..."

Also, I now see and appreciate from a game-mechanics point of view, that it would be very tough/impossible to try and manage residuals with memory...especially if there were multiple attacks against the location.

As for the tactics, Germans are defenders (ASL 109 Dreil Team - image/situation greatly simplified to address my questions), I think it was right/best for the German 467 to attack at its earliest opportunity as the Brits need to move through S7, and any damage to the Brits will likely keep them on the far side of the stream.

Thanks

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Depending on how important it is to keep the British on the other side of the stream vs how important it is to keep the defender alive, you might DFF in S7, SFF in R7 and FPF in Q8. That leaves residual in all three hexes plus give you three chances at -2 DRM to get the first squad. Plus if you man up like that on the first turn, your opponent will be sweating bullets come the later turns.

JR

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JRV. Hmmm, it might be one thing to break squads, another to break one's opponent. Been there, on the receiving end. Cheers

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A8.2 Smoke modifiers in the resid location apply to the attack.

Unit #2 gets 2 +1 attack from the resid.

Seth

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A8.2 Smoke modifiers in the resid location apply to the attack.

Unit #2 gets 2 +1 attack from the resid.
It is hard for me to see how SMOKE in the Q8 Location would apply to a residual FP attack in the S7 Location. Unless you are taking the example beyond the question (which was an attack in S7) and assuming the unit 2 also moved to Q8, which was not the question.

JR

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is hard for me to see how SMOKE in the Q8 Location would apply to a residual FP attack in the S7 Location. Unless you are taking the example beyond the question (which was an attack in S7) and assuming the unit 2 also moved to Q8, which was not the question.

JR

Yes, I was talking about Q8. Somehow I didn't even see the resid in S7. I also thought that unit 2 was moving from R7 to Q8.

Stupid diagonal stacks and fat arrows. :)

Seth

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing that was not brought out I believe is that upon spending a additional MF to place smoke in its own hex unit #1 would be attacked by the 2-RFP in Q8 at a 2FP up 1 (FFNAM + Smoke TEM) because it had not been attacked by the RFP initially put down by the defensive fire when it entered the hex and the movement cost of placing smoke in the hex is not combined with the MF cost to enter the hex (A24.1). Note however, RFP will only attack unit #1 after the completion of the action of placing smoke (A8.22, bullet #2), thus the smoke will negate the use of FFMO for the RFP shot.