Moving stacks should pick up non-moving pieces

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all, VASL 6.4.2, VASSAL 3.2.17.

When I move counters around with the CTRL-# method, and they move into a hex with counter already in it, the non-moving counters are added to my stack, and move along with the moving counter when I next hit CTRL-1, or whatever.

Going to preferences and checking or unchecking "moving stacks should pick up non-moving pieces" makes no difference to this behavior, whether or not I restart VASL.

What's going on here? Am I missing something I should be doing to keep my moving stacks from picking up other pieces?

Thanks for the advice!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I haven't the foggiest notion what the CTRL-# method is? When I select a stack and move through an existing stack I do not pick up units from the existing stack. There was a time when this was a problem, but that was fixed I don't know how long ago?

No matter what combination/permutation of CTRL-# I try does not change that behavior? What is this method? I'm not finding it in any of the documentation I know of for VASL?

Just upped my stuff to 6.4.2/3.2.17

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I haven't the foggiest notion what the CTRL-# method is? When I select a stack and move through an existing stack I do not pick up units from the existing stack. There was a time when this was a problem, but that was fixed I don't know how long ago?

No matter what combination/permutation of CTRL-# I try does not change that behavior? What is this method? I'm not finding it in any of the documentation I know of for VASL?

Just upped my stuff to 6.4.2/3.2.17
ctrl-# is short-hand for ctrl-1, ctrl-2, ctrl-3, ctrl-7, ctrl-8, ctrl-9 on the numeric keypad. These move the selected units. On this keyboard I can't tell because there is no little light, but I think the numlock has to be engaged for this to work.

On my installation moving through other units picks up those units into the stack.

JR

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aha, if I check "moving stacks should pick up non-moving pieces", then moving the counters with the mouse causes them to pick up non-moving pieces; i.e., the same behavior that I always see when using CTRL-numberpad to move pieces. So it seems that this line in the preferences refers to moving pieces around via the mouse.

So I guess this isn't a bug, but maybe I can request a feature:

Could moving counters with the numberpad be modified so that it respects the "moving stacks should pick up non-moving pieces" preference?

It would make my life much easier, at least!

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ctrl-# is short-hand for ctrl-1, ctrl-2, ctrl-3, ctrl-7, ctrl-8, ctrl-9 on the numeric keypad. These move the selected units. On this keyboard I can't tell because there is no little light, but I think the numlock has to be engaged for this to work.

On my installation moving through other units picks up those units into the stack.

JR
Exactly--in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have chosen a shorthand that was also a keystroke itself.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If the moving stack remains selected - i.e. you didn't unselect it by clicking elsewhere - and you toggled off the Preference item which makes you have non moving units join the moving ones, the moving stack doesn't pick up units from hexes that it is moving through.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the moving stack remains selected - i.e. you didn't unselect it by clicking elsewhere - and you toggled off the Preference item which makes you have non moving units join the moving ones, the moving stack doesn't pick up units from hexes that it is moving through.
@Swiftandsure: can you confirm that this is the case even when you move counters around not with the mouse, but with CTRL-1, CTRL-2, etc? If so, the plot thickens, because this is not the behavior on my machine (or jrv's, it seems). What is your VASL version?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have the "moving stack should pick up units" option disabled, and when I move a stack using the keyboard, it does pick up friendly units - unlike what Robin says (I suppose he was only thinking of moving with the mouse).

I'm not sure what this option is supposed to be good for - it's pretty unusual for a moving stack to grab anything on the way, right?