Moving counters with your keypad

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am not the most dexterous, not with my "mouse" hand. I have difficulties when using a mouse to move a stack of counters through (into and then beyond) another stack.

So I thought getting a keypad and moving those counters by keypad (CTRL-1 to 9) will be better.

Unfortunately when I move a counter by keypad into another stack, it picks up the entire stack and move them all together in the next MF. Is there a way to avoid this?

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I believe the reason this is happening is because in all the Unit Prototype definitions the "Moved fixed distance" traits have the attribute "Move entire stack" checked. If these were set as unchecked then I think the units would not pick up non moving units. However what I do not know is whether this is the deliberately desired behaviour or an oversight. I seem to recall in the distant past there was some sort of discussion as to what behaviour was required and I think it had something to do with picking up level markers in crowded buildings, but not sure. So I would say that there is nothing you can do to get the desired behaviour (which I would also desire) except by requesting a change to Vasl.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have looked at this a little more closely and I think that what I said above re the "Move entire stack" attribute is incorrect. There is a setting under preferences which should turn on/off the picking up of non moving units but it does not seem to work. Indeed in modules I have made for Vassal I cannot get moving units to pick up non moving units as they do in Vasl so something seems to be amiss, but I have to admit i am talking from a non informed position.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I love the 'accuracy' of doing the moves by keypad, several of my opponents would randomly not see the moves, so I switched to using the mouse all the time.

For me, that particular setting does not seem to have an effect, but wish it did what it advertised.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jackson, I've brought up the same problem in the past, and I believe that there is currently no way to avoid it, although I vaguely remember the consensus being that this was a bug in VASL.

I agree with you that I much prefer moving units by keyboard!