Moving At Night

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From reading the users manual I understand that infantry moving in line at night becomes disrupted. I conclude then, that moving in column does not result in disruption.

The rule also explicitly states that artillery that unlimbers at night is disrupted.

The question is; does infantry that deploys from column to line at night become disrupted?

Thanks in advance.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
It's best to try and rest your troops at night as much as possible. Night fatigue recovery is generally 4x greater than during a day turn...

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the responses...I do understand the need for rest, but if you are not fatigued then rest is not needed...unless of course, you accumulate fatigue by moving at night.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Unlike the PZC games you don't accumulate fatigue for just performing night actions, however movement makes it possible for you to create contact between you and your enemy during the night turns. This will inevitably result in combat of some sort. Which in turn will most likely result in morale checks, bringing this line from the User.hlp file into play - If it is a Night turn, then 2 is subtracted from the Morale. So, the chances of you passing a morale check at night are reduced quite a bit, and if you rout or become disordered the chances of you returning to good order before dawn are much less.

Additionally, if melee takes place this segment from the rules applies:

Night Attack Penalty
When units melee attack at night, a possible fatigue penalty applies. This penalty is the Night Attack Penalty Parameter Data Value. This value is added to the nominal fatigue accumulation of units attacking at night. This value is subject to the normal modifiers that apply for wining or losing a melee.

So, like our historical counterparts, I prefer to rest my troops at night and avoid any offensive movements or actions to reduce the negative impact to my force. :)

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, remember that building entrenchments disqualifies a regiment from recovering fatigue.