Moving After Breaking and Then Getting HOB

cohort

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While moving a squad is fired upon and breaks. A follow-up attack then results in a HOB. Two questions based on this situation:

If the HOB results in the squad going berserk does the squad then charge or did the break cause it to end its movement?

If the HOB results in battle hardening, can the squad continue moving or not?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have not extensively researched but I don't believe that breaking causes the unit's MPh to end by rule (unlike, say, bogging where the rules explicitly say the unit's MPh ends [D8.21]). If it goes berserk or HoB rallies then it can continue. If it does not, as a broken unit it cannot expend MF so there would be no way to continue except to end its MPh and start moving another unit.

JR

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the first case the Berserk unit will charge normally. In the second case the unit may continue moving (assuming it still has MF). In both cases the unit has already used some (or maybe all) of its movement before breaking which will limit its movement at this time.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the "Little Black Book of Sleaze", once broken the unit has no memory of their previous status (hence movement status) and gains another full 8MF should they become Berserk. However, having said as much, once you have completed moving a unit, you may not go back to it later in the MPh to continue any unused MF/MP (EXC: Star bursting from Armored Assault) so the answer would indicate you have completed the units MPh as soon as the unit was broken.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
From the "Little Black Book of Sleaze", once broken the unit has no memory of their previous status (hence movement status) and gains another full 8MF should they become Berserk.
Really?

So you are saying if there is an enemy unit 17 hexes away and a friendly unit with a leader going CX together at the start of their MPh, then moving 9MF along a road, being fired at on the 9th road hex resulting the CX squad to become Berzerk will allow it to charge another 8MF down along that road to reach the enemy unit in the 17th hex?

Or, provided the enemy unit is 25 hexes away and fired at again in the 17th hex, broken, HoB'ed again to become Berserk again, it could continue/restart the charge to reach that enemy unit in the 25th Road hex?

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
From the "Little Black Book of Sleaze", once broken the unit has no memory of their previous status (hence movement status) and gains another full 8MF should they become Berserk.
Wrong.
A15.431 ... A unit which becomes berserk while still moving (i.e., not pinned or wounded) must use the remainder of its MPh to charge. The unit's MF allotment for the rest of that MPh is eight minus whatever MF it has already expended during that MPh

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, but you missed the caveat of "once broken". I had taken into account if the unit had not broken and agree with your assertion but figured it wasn't germane to the response as the OP had noted the unit had broken (thus ending its MPh-or so I believe).:nod:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ah, but you missed the caveat of "once broken". I had taken into account if the unit had not broken and agree with your assertion but figured it wasn't germane to the response as the OP had noted the unit had broken (thus ending its MPh-or so I believe).:nod:
So, in theory, a unit could move an unlimited number of MF as long as it becomes broken and subsequently HoB's to Berserk in its MPh as pointed out in my post #5?

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, you'd need to find a way of breaking it once it went berserk.

Does an Infantry OVR do the trick? Do they lose Berserkness if they manage to kill a measly SMC during the MPh?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the unit's MPh ended when it broke, there would be no more First Fire opportunities against it.
Yup, as you and Robin pointed out I forgot that unit is still considered moving for purposes of other D1F or SFF opportunities, making my assertion null (i.e. wrong :facepalm:). I guess the best answer would be as EagleIV has intimated and Robin have pointed out, the unit would necessarily be charged with the MF already expended if were to become berserk even though A15.431 doesn't specifically say so in such a circumstance, but it would be the only reasonable answer.