Movie reviews

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well I hope some of you enjoyed reading the review as much as I enjoyed writing it. The DVD set was just released in November and I couldn't resist!

Marauder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
And the best western is?

<1960: The Searchers

1961-1975: GBU with OUTitW in a close second

1976 to present: Unforgiven with The Outlaw Josey Wales in second

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Ever see a movie called Death Hunt? Not really a western, but I enjoyed it. You know anything with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson was going to be good!

I liked Unforgiven too. It's sort of an anti-western in some ways, but that's what Eastwood intended it to be. Although Leone was paying homage to the great westerns in Once Upon A Time In The West, he also included some anti-western themes that run throughout the length of the movie. It's an unusual piece but certainly one of my favorites.

Tombstone may never be ranked as one of the true classics, but it's awfully fun to watch.

I also liked The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. A classic in its own way.

How about Paint Your Wagon...

Marauder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Tombstone may never be ranked as one of the true classics, but it's awfully fun to watch.

Tombstone was a good movie. IMO Val Kilmer did a suberb job in it. I liked his Holliday better than Dennis Quiad.

There are so many good westerns out there. Some of my favs are.

The Shootist
Shane
Cowboys
Pale Rider(Got to love the cylinder switch on the Remington New Army conversion Pistol)
Wild Bunch
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
..just so many good ones

Brevet

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Here we learned that Clint Eastwood cannot sing and Lee Marvin could barely sing. I actually owned the soundtrack to this movie, but I can't remember why. I think it was because I was a foresty major and Clint Eastwood sang a tune that started with the line; "I talk to the trees..."

My favorite westens have to be The Wild Bunch and The Professionals. I have them both on DVD and I plan to pick up Once Upon a Time in West this weekend. I've only seen this movie on TV and want to see a wide-screen version.

Death Hunt is a 'Canadian' western :) I liked it. It must have been cold during production. :TRUCE:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just picked up the expanded special edition of The Good the Bad and the Ugly. I already had it on DVD, but this new collector's edition is really worth the money. It's been digitally remastered and contains about 20 minutes of new footage. I really loved this version, this is how Leone intended it to be.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rather unrelated but I think Once Upon a Time in America was Leone's best. :)

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
i saw that movie more than once and it's really one of the greatest movie i have ever seen.
those movies are really popular here as well
it's certainly the best movie i have seen coming from the states