MOVIE REVIEW GODS AND GENERALS

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read the book years ago--in fact, I have all three books in the series and highly recommend THE BOOKS

AS TO THE MOVIE....

BARK BARK BARK YELP MEOW MOO BARK BARK BARK

I rate the movie a 2 at best, slightly above Pearl Harbor but definitely below the Battle of Bulge film with Henry Fonda/Telly Savalas etc.

Badly organized, acted, and scripted. WAY TOO LONG.

The confederate USO troop with the spanish fag dancing to the Bonnie blue flag (AND Ted Turner dressed as a Rebel general clapping to it) was just the icing on the cake of a really BAD film.

What's sad, is the Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville scenes were actually pretty good but they happened in such vaccums of utter horrible acting and movie making that I, in a rare attack of integrity, cannot recommend that you my friends see this horrible horrible film.

Those are my opinions, you are entitled to them

Mark "no tell us what you really think" De Vries

klsmith

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
what mark says is all true. My first thought on leaving was, "if only Spielberg could've done that."

Then after reflection for a day (allowing me to forget the "spanish fag dancing" - thanks for bringing that image back to mind), I have to say I was more impressed -- pretty much only because of the Stonewall Jackson portrayal. That actor (I forget his name) was well cast and did a damned good job. I haven't read all that much about Jackson, but his character was interesting and compelling (and cool). The movie could've have cut out two hours and stuck with the Jackson film and it would've been much better.

The most annoying aspects to me: continued use of random reenactors for the battle scenes. I've been a reenactor, and the battle scenes look like a big reenactment (again, "if only Spielberg could have done that"). And the writing. ugh. Ron Maxwell, again (director and writer). And hire an editor -- it just didn't need to be 4 hours long.

All that aside, as a Southerner who grew up with the Jackson and Lee "legend," it was astounding to me in this age of political correctness to see a movie on Stonewall Jackson. That alone is worth the price of admission.

The classic review comment from my 16 year old: "That General Lee reminds me of Gandalf."

Ken

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Response to Kens comments

I guess what I would agree with Kens unsaid assumption is that the movie COULD have worked...

Yes, Stonewall Jackson was an interesting character--but then why NONE of the Shenodoah (sp, I know) campaign was shown where the Jackson legend REALLY comes from, well, that escapes me completely.....

Ken, it would have been nice if you added appropriate animal noises to your response on my review....although, maybe not, since you were kinder to the film then I STILL feel some 12 hours after living thru that monstrosity.

And I can add ONE nice thing to the film. I went using a free movie pass so I can say that I didn't have to pay for it.....sigh, that's really lame...

Mark "why can't they all be like Pvt Ryan?" De Vries

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two great quotes in a row:

"That General Lee reminds me of Gandalf."

"why can't they all be like Pvt Ryan?"

Gandalf is both more fun and more awesome, but then he is fictional. At least Bobby Lee is based on reality.

And if I went to every movie expecting Saving Private Ryan, I would be awfully disappointed.

I would have settled for G&G being as good as Gettysburg, but the latter had a much more concise and dramatic story to tell. The former was constrained by the book's desire to feature Jackson vs Chamberlin, an artificial construct from its conception.

I do not regret seeing G&G but I cannot recommend it to anyone.

....Perry

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My not communicating properly

When I wrote of "WHY can't they all be like Pvt Ryan" I mean the dramatic tension, acting, and of course realism.

I agree that if every movie was like Ryan it would get boring, but hey, part of what made that movie work was good acting, tension and realism..

I rant, I ramble, I hope I make sense...

Mark

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently I wasn't clear when I wrote "And if I went to every movie expecting Saving Private Ryan, I would be awfully disappointed."

The important word in that sentence is "expecting." If I expected all movies to be as good as SPR, I would be awfully disappointed because few movies are that good.

....Perry