Movement of a vehicle with no functioning guns

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

apologies for the questions but just picking up SASL again after a long period and just getting confused.

I have an Enemy German Vehicle Halftrack armed with a 75L gun (no MG's) it fired in the friendly sides DFPh and the gun malfunctioned. I now come to the enemy turn, the gun fails to repair in the rally phase but it does not become disabled either.

In the prep fire phase this vehicle, if it does not panic, will either move or fire, however, it can't fire, it has no functioning gun, does it just move inevitably towards friendly units to be destroyed as it has no means of defending itself, in a face to face game this vehicle would likely retire to a position of safety to try and repair its MA before re-joining the fight.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It gets really weird if you read the A4c enemy vehicle movement table and realize that nothing is a Target, unless you consider Overrun, so that vehicle becomes almost suicidal!
A close reading of "Unarmed" in the Index makes me think that a vehicle without any functioning armament is "Unarmed", and while the designers considered Unarmed MMC, they never considered unarmed vehicles despite there being trucks on the generation tables.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I think the trucks in the generation tables are only for generating Friendly vehicles via RE and MSR. Apart from the 'convoy' result in the A11 table I can't think of when I've encountered an unarmed Enemy truck. If I had an Enemy AFV that had no functioning armament, couldn't generate EVP and was playing a mission where the Friendly side received CVP I would probably consider it under Recall. It's less likely to repair a weapon than it is to become a casualty. If the Friendly side doesn't get CVP it might be worth keeping around for the Enemy since it'll still draw fire.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way I handle this is each Enemy Player Turn that the vehicle is on the map, I make a repair dr and if its successful the weapon is repaired; if not the vehicle will start its movement to the EBE in the MPh. I feel that this is in the 'best interest of the Enemy' because it doesn't leave the vehicle stuck in place because of a failed repair dr, also the Enemy vehicle can't be used to advance towards Friendly units.