Movement and Visibility?

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just to clarify a few bits that are confusing:

1. If a Visibility Reduction value is set to -1 is that identical to a visibility of ZERO ?

2. If the Movement Reduction is set to -1 in a terrain type and it is not defined as having a water capability is this identical to a movement reduction of ZERO?

3. Terrain can be defined as dismount only when the Movement Reduction value is set to ZERO. Does this also have an implied reduction of movement for dismounts or does it leave a dismount with normal movement speed?

4. Can a dismount speed be modified in a terrain type which is defined as dismounts only?

5. With a terrain Type that has the Structure capability, is there any difference in a Direct Fire/Indirect Fire Modifier value of 0 and -1?

6. Does the value of -99 in a structure’s modifiers mean the same/have the same affect as ZERO?

Thanks

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. If a Visibility Reduction value is set to -1 is that identical to a visibility of ZERO ?
Yes

2. If the Movement Reduction is set to -1 in a terrain type and it is not defined as having a water capability is this identical to a movement reduction of ZERO?
-1 means no movement by any unit. 0 means dismounts only.

3. Terrain can be defined as dismount only when the Movement Reduction value is set to ZERO. Does this also have an implied reduction of movement for dismounts or does it leave a dismount with normal movement speed?
The dismount movement is severely reduced.

4. Can a dismount speed be modified in a terrain type which is defined as dismounts only?
No.

5. With a terrain Type that has the Structure capability, is there any difference in a Direct Fire/Indirect Fire Modifier value of 0 and -1?
No . -99 means no mdifier, though.

6. Does the value of -99 in a structure’s modifiers mean the same/have the same affect as ZERO?
No. It means the engine disregards this entry. It means N\A.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
No . -99 means no mdifier, though.
As a folow on with this can the various modifiers with a structure, that is :
Indirect Fire,
Direct Fire,
size and
Altitude,
be negative values?

As an example direct fire mofifier say -0.8 where the effect of direct fire is increased not decreased?

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Another query on this topic:

If a specific terrain Type has a Movement Reduction of ZERO and it has a capability of WATER, the terrain is considered to be shallow water.
Is it possible to stipulate a speed reduction to a unit that can travel in shallow water?

Would a value of -0.4 deliver a resulting speed reduction to 40% of normal shallow water speed?

Similarly with a Movement Reduction of -1 and a capability of WATER, ie it is Deep Water, can a speed reduction be applied to a unit that can move in deep water?

Would a value of -1.6 deliver a resulting speed reduction to 60% of normal deep water speed?

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As an example direct fire mofifier say -0.8 where the effect of direct fire is increased not decreased?
Too get this you want a value GREATER THAN ONE rather thab less than zero. For instance a 2 means that indirect or direct fire is twice as effective.

If a specific terrain Type has a Movement Reduction of ZERO and it has a capability of WATER, the terrain is considered to be shallow water.

Is it possible to stipulate a speed reduction to a unit that can travel in shallow water?
no.

Would a value of -0.4 deliver a resulting speed reduction to 40% of normal shallow water speed?
no

Similarly with a Movement Reduction of -1 and a capability of WATER, ie it is Deep Water, can a speed reduction be applied to a unit that can move in deep water?

Would a value of -1.6 deliver a resulting speed reduction to 60% of normal deep water speed?
no.

Deep water and shallow water are just that. To adjust the speed at which a waterborne or amphibious vehicles can traverse the water, it is set in the vehicle database, rather than the map. We felt this was more flexible than setting the speed by terrain type.

Last edited:

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks. That clears up a few concepts.

The reason for asking is that i had been going through some of teh TTP files to find suitable terrain types for my map. So the basis of these odd questions is based on the following :

In the file TSATC.TTP
Flooded Irrigation Area has a movement reduction of -0.8 and capability of water.

Tank Ramp hasa height of ZERO , capability of structure and has a direct fire modifier of -0.8

In the file tfw1.ttp (one with the demo)
sea has amovement reduction of -0.5 and a capability of water.

So from you comments these would appear to be in error, or have I missed soemthing.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ttp file doesn't actually do anything in the game. All of the terrain is saved as part of the elevation map (the .emp file). That having been said, we will check the actual maps to see if there are any errors.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I was mainly going through the ttp files to get some idea on terrain types and how they are valued.

The ttp file doesn't actually do anything in the game. All of the terrain is saved as part of the elevation map (the .emp file). That having been said, we will check the actual maps to see if there are any errors.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
More structure questions:

A Terrain Type that has Structure capabilities and only accepts dismounts would the Movement Reduction value in the main terrain Dialog be set to ZERO or at some value representing movement of the dismounts in that structure?

Does the structure capability flag prevent non dismounts, (tanks and other vehicles), passing through that area of terrain if the structure only accepts dismounts?

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A Water question:

With a terrain that has a capability of Water can it also have a Movement Reduction of say 0.1 Here I want to represent a situation of a wet area but there is some movement available.

Does adding the Water capability just restrict this terrain area to such units that have an amphibious attribute or is it open to all?
If such a terrain is only accessible to units with the amphibious attribute then would I need to set the movement reduction to 0 and also in the unit set its water speed?

(Building the colour maps is one thing, getting the terrain data is a bigger job, not to mention someone to test it)

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AI Help Map:

With the AI Help Map the areas that it generates as Impassable Terrain I gather from the tutorial is only for non dismount traffic, does this also affect user vehicle traffic?

If I made sections of such areas as passable terrain with a movement restriction of 1 will this alter the AI help map?

Also would it be correct to assume its best to make any AI help map, etc after all map terrain types are added?

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are two maps that use the terrains in question - first is "Hannukah", which has some flooded irrigation areas to the far south. The second is Tel Maschara with the "Tank Ramps". Both of these terrains, on my system, are fine with the following attributes:

Flooded Irrigation Area
visibility: 1
movement: 0
height:0
attributes: water

Tank Ramp
visibility: 1
movement: 1
height: 2
attributes: structure
structure modifiers:
indirect fire: 0
direct fire: 0.4
size: 0.4
altitude bonus: 2

That being said, my version may not coincide with the release, so...attached are fixed map files for those two maps (they are the only ones that use these terrain types!).

I will also post a download in the download section and make posts directing people to it.

Thanks for the head's-up, Nick!

Curt

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Curt, I had only been looking at the file TSATC.TTP, but on a detailed look at the two maps you mentioned the only error directly on the map terrain is with the flooded Irrigation Area.
The map version for Tank Ramp is Ok, it is wrong though in the TSATC.TTP file

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curt, I had only been looking at the file TSATC.TTP, but on a detailed look at the two maps you mentioned the only error directly on the map terrain is with the flooded Irrigation Area.
The map version for Tank Ramp is Ok, it is wrong though in the TSATC.TTP file
Thanks - like I said, the fix is in! :D

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Terrain Type that has Structure capabilities and only accepts dismounts would the Movement Reduction value in the main terrain Dialog be set to ZERO or at some value representing movement of the dismounts in that structure?

Does the structure capability flag prevent non dismounts, (tanks and other vehicles), passing through that area of terrain if the structure only accepts dismounts?
yes and yes.

With a terrain that has a capability of Water can it also have a Movement Reduction of say 0.1 Here I want to represent a situation of a wet area but there is some movement available.
No. I am not sure what adding the water attribute gives you, though. ~t only affects amphib vehicles.

Does adding the Water capability just restrict this terrain area to such units that have an amphibious attribute or is it open to all?
If such a terrain is only accessible to units with the amphibious attribute then would I need to set the movement reduction to 0 and also in the unit set its water speed?
it only affects amphib vehicles.