Mounted or SK style boards : what do you think is the better?

Which type of board do you prefer?

• Mounted, SK style is a shame

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • SK style

Votes: 49 76.6%
  • No preference

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spot on!

I mean, let them try to play Warhammer table-top or any Games Workshop stuff over a longer period of time to get a sense of a 'ripoff'. ?

von Marwitz
There's always Axis & Allies a there's no attempt to capitalize on additional paraphernalia for that system.:unsure:?

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't have a preference, especially since most of the boards aren't available mounted. The artwork on the old boards was better, in general, but the uniformity of the SK style boards keeps things more consistent. To me, the biggest advantage to the new boards is that I got the mapboard pack a few years ago and kept them flat, not folded. Much nicer to use, and a lot less space (and weight) taken up for storage and travel.

That said, except for the annual trip to WO and the Brackin Basement Bash, most of my play is on VASL. Even so, I like to work on set ups using real boards and counters when I'm getting ready for new game.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well, the choice of "mounted, SK is a shame" makes it hard to choose that option. It is not a shame, it's a business decision based on economics. I suppose I prefer the mounted boards for stability but that's a minor issue. Before a game I cover the map in either plexiglass or actual 1/8" tempered glass so stability is not an issue.

As far as LOS/alignment on the old mounted boards went, we simply made sure to line up Hexrow Q and all LOS fell where they may.

Last edited:

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
SK boards are my preference for many reasons: including easier storage, they mate better, and have excellent production consistency. If you use plexiglas to cover the maps, the SK boards are so thin that the plexiglas sits pretty much onto the table, unlike the mounted boards where there'd be a little gap between the table and the plexiglas. Another thing that I had trouble with in the past with a few mounted boards: if I didn't store them properly and they got warped, it could be a bit of an issue to get them to lay flat. Not so with SK boards as they're less rigid.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From a personal view, I lost my painting job once MMP went digital with their SK boards. Sniff...
However, I've recovered and now like the SK boards as a player - I like their green color uniformity mainly, though I really only like the artwork on them once Charlie K. started to do them. Overall, the digital art, while functional, still looks cold and not as realistic as it might - notwithstanding Charlie's excellent digital work.

I've had the SK boards all enlarged by 20% and place them under thin, non-glare plexiglass. I believe that's as good as it gets at this point.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
From a personal view, I lost my painting job once MMP went digital with their SK boards. Sniff...
However, I've recovered and now like the SK boards as a player - I like their green color uniformity mainly, though I really only like the artwork on them once Charlie K. started to do them. Overall, the digital art, while functional, still looks cold and not as realistic as it might - notwithstanding Charlie's excellent digital work.

I've had the SK boards all enlarged by 20% and place them under thin, non-glare plexiglass. I believe that's as good as it gets at this point.
Somehow I never realized that you were doing the paint job for the mounted boards. As aforementioned, I was a fan of them.

von Marwitz

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Somehow I never realized that you were doing the paint job for the mounted boards. As aforementioned, I was a fan of them.
von Marwitz
Much appreciated - I was a fan of that method (painting) also.
Yea, I painted several geoboards in the 44-70 range and have designed some after that. Prior to B44 it was Charlie (after board 4, I think), and since being given my pink slip and hanging up my paintbrushes, Charlie resumed the work via digital graphics.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the beginning, there was Squad Leader mapboards 1 through 4.....

I have the complete set of mounted mapboards 1 through 52. AND it was a pain in the lumbar region to take them to conventions
until 2007. Then I attended BPA in Lancaster that year and decided to pre-order the SK-style set 1 through 52. Ever since then it
is easier to portage them to conventions. Granted, it gets harder and harder to portage the mapboards every year (84 - 12a/b -
DASL 'l' and ASLSK z - m), but beats the alternative of trying to portage that many MOUNTED mapboards.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
17.5% regret the mounted boards.
So I would guess that MMP made the right choice.
After that, the aesthetics aspect is another question.
I had a look at my mounted boards in my cellar: I like the painted style.
But the colours are so inconsistent from a board to another that I wouldn't like to use them again.
The lighter boards don't match perfectly, but are much closer one to another.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
17.5% regret the mounted boards.
So I would guess that MMP made the right choice.
After that, the aesthetics aspect is another question.
I had a look at my mounted boards in my cellar: I like the painted style.
But the colours are so inconsistent from a board to another that I wouldn't like to use them again.
The lighter boards don't match perfectly, but are much closer one to another.
I believe if mounted boards would have been made with the same precision and true colors as unmounted ones - which would have been possible at the times of bd52, they would have been missed by a higher percentage for sure.

Anyway, that ship has sailed.

von Marwitz

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Within a week after I got from MMP that cool and beautiful rectangular box with the first Map pack, I put all my old mounted boards in a box and sold them through Ebay to a chap, iirc, in Ireland.