Motorcycles

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
[In eligible scenarios, it's kinda bad-ass to VBM-sleaze w/motorcycles in motion]
Color me dense, but I had never considered this, nor ever considered whether or not it was even allowable. With the negative target modifier, their perch is precarious enough for such daredevil tactics to have never crossed my mind. Perhaps coming into the non-CA of a hex with only a crew-manned Gun? Still pretty risky.....

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly. Used this very tactic in a East Front Pack scenario that had some motorcycles, albeit it was a pretty desperate gamble but paid off (at least once). I don't believe I've ever contemplated using it before or after, but then scenarios with motorcycles are fairly rare.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Exactly. Used this very tactic in a East Front Pack scenario that had some motorcycles, albeit it was a pretty desperate gamble but paid off (at least once). I don't believe I've ever contemplated using it before or after, but then scenarios with motorcycles are fairly rare.
How your opponent must have laughed. 🤣

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One kinda safe use is, w/a HS (say) on motorcycles, move in to freeze to Range Zero an already Final Fired stack. That stack may opt =not= to risk FPF vs so small a target. If they do fire and your Riders only break, the stack is still frozen.

I did this vs a weak stack in a shack adjacent to a critcal Road, taking care not to use that Road on my ride in for the freeze. Hence, that stack was frozen w/no option to put Resid on the road.

Other traffic passed them safely. Clean-up committee moved safely Adjacent (immune to FPF) and finished off the Road guards w/AFPh FP and RtPh FTR [or CCPh sequential CC -- I no longer recall].

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One kinda safe use is, w/a HS (say) on motorcycles, move in to freeze to Range Zero an already Final Fired stack. That stack may opt =not= to risk FPF vs so small a target. If they do fire and your Riders only break, the stack is still frozen.

I did this vs a weak stack in a shack adjacent to a critcal Road, taking care not to use that Road on my ride in for the freeze. Hence, that stack was frozen w/no option to put Resid on the road.

Other traffic passed them safely. Clean-up committee moved safely Adjacent (immune to FPF) and finished off the Road guards w/AFPh FP and RtPh FTR [or CCPh sequential CC -- I no longer recall].
Night might help these kind of shenanigans, particularly calvary charges. Maybe a little smoke.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Night might help these kind of shenanigans, particularly calvary charges. Maybe a little smoke.
There's a night scenario with cavalry? :eek:

Would this even be legal? Cavalry can only enter an enemy occupied location as part of a charge and can't charge a location that it cannot enter when galloping.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I like it...

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A HS Rider which breaks will Bail Out (additional MC) and be attacked by the RF of the attack that unsaddled it (another IFT result).
That could quite probably mean that VBM Freeze won't last long.
If I had the possibility, I would rather have a 6+1 leader (or a Hero) ride a single bike to do the job.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A HS Rider which breaks will Bail Out (additional MC) and be attacked by the RF of the attack that unsaddled it (another IFT result).
That could quite probably mean that VBM Freeze won't last long.
If I had the possibility, I would rather have a 6+1 leader (or a Hero) ride a single bike to do the job.
Yeah but then there's always a possibility of battle Hardening, Creating a Hero or going Berserk (Hope-forelorne as it may be-springs eternal). Desperate times call for desperate measures.o_O:sneaky::love:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yeah but then there's always a possibility of battle Hardening, Creating a Hero or going Berserk (Hope-forelorne as it may be-springs eternal).
I am picturing the dreaded Truck OVR to be eclipsed in berserk viciousness by the Motorcycle OVR... 🤣

von Marwitz

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's a night scenario with cavalry? :eek:

Would this even be legal? Cavalry can only enter an enemy occupied location as part of a charge and can't charge a location that it cannot enter when galloping.
The scenario name escapes me but I know it’s on the Dinant Map. It’s a giant night battle and inspired scenario design, the French get like 26 calvary squads (plus a bunch of other stuff) and 3 radios w/3 batteries to try and destroy the bridges the Germans made. Probably one of my favorite scenarios,a real frickus. Starts off quiet and sleepy but then all hell breaks loose all over the map as the Germans start getting activated and counterattack, making many separate little battle zones, each with there own importance and style of battle. Examples, horsemen running amuck in a city desperately looking for a bridge, slow rally rates (night DM rule), buildings changing hands several times, radio drama on the cliff as the Germans try to shoot the radio guy, mayhem. The scenario offers many options to both players with some rather tense SR and IR placements, radio contacts rolls and few calvary charges. In our game the Germans won by the slimmest margin (the French failed a last chance contact roll to convert a SR to a FFE on the bridge) but we discovered calvary rules the night!

The French had to decide which batteries would punish the Germans and how many to attack the bridges? Then the French calvary must get up to the cliff while somehow firing an illumination round that finds a bridge, then they gotta survive all the German bullets, get radio contact, battery access and bring down a SR then a FFE on a bridge (which are HIP at start, bridges that is). It’s a lot of dots to connect to do what seems like a simple thing, that’s all I gotta say, lol.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The scenario name escapes me but I know it’s on the Dinant Map. It’s a giant night battle and the French get like 26 calvary squads (plus a bunch of other stuff) and 3 radios w/3 batteries to try and destroy the bridges the Germans made. Probably one of my favorite scenarios,a real frickus. Starts off quiet and sleepy but then all hell breaks loose all over the map as the Germans start getting activated and counterattack. The scenario offers many options to both players with some rather dramatic SR and IR placements, radio contacts rolls and few calvary charges. In our game the Germans won by the slimmest margin (the French failed a last chance contact roll to convert a SR to a FFE on the bridge) but we discovered calvary rules the night!

The French had to decide which batteries would punish the Germans and how many to attack the bridges? Then the French calvary must get up to the cliff while somehow firing an illumination round that finds a bridge, then they gotta survive all the German bullets, get radio contact, battery access and bring down a SR then a FFE on a bridge (which are HIP at start, bridges that is). It’s a lot of dots to connect to do what seems like a simple thing, that’s all I gotta say, lol.
It sounds like a good time to me.