Motorcycles

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello
Playing Huns of Steel and a Russian squad wants to recover motorcycles. The cycles are only a HS worth of cycles though. Can they deploy to put half onto the cycles upon mounting?
I am thinking they can't use them given they can't deploy.

buser333

Reaction score
Hello
Playing Huns of Steel and a Russian squad wants to recover motorcycles. The cycles are only a HS worth of cycles though. Can they deploy to put half onto the cycles upon mounting?
I am thinking they can't use them given they can't deploy.
You would be correct. Gonna have to scrounge up another HS worth of bikes to recombine them before you'd be able to ride.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking in the motorcycle rules, it seems there is no mention of deploying, so absent a leader in hex, no squad unable to self deploy could use the HS motorcycle counter I guess???

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's okay. You left tons of motorcycles in your backfield, and there are horses wandering around everywhere. I'll have my guys do more looking around...

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
That's okay. You left tons of motorcycles in your backfield, and there are horses wandering around everywhere. I'll have my guys do more looking around...
The limitation in this case isn't the number of cycles present, it's the basic ASL tenet that most squads can't deploy without a leader present (plus leader-assisted TC). Once you accept that leaderless squads won't have the initiative to split up, the "reality picture" is why would half the squad, seeing a handful of cycles nearby, suddenly feel free to split? Just born to ride?

The opposite question was also asked recently (follow this link).

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ah, but that same leaderless squad (even a Russian conscript) has enough initiative to split up so a half-squad can: (a) guard prisoners; or (b) get into an empty enemy vehicle. Trying to start a few abandoned motorcycles doesn't seem that challenging, but I accept (almost) that the rules suggest a squad needs to deploy first.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Can Riders deploy?
I haven't found a prohibition in the rules.