Motorcycle thread: What are you riding?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Check out the new Ducati Diavel 1260 S. I had one of the older models and it was great, but there were a few things about it that drove me crazy.

For starters, the foot position was just a little too far forward. Yes, I'm know it's basically the old 'standard' position and it common on things like the Harley Low Rider, but it just made the original Diavel feel a bit like a ridiculously overpowered scooter.

Second, no cruise control. Now before you start bashing, I love cruise control on motorcycles, regardless of the style of the bike. It comes in handy for all sorts of things, like a adjusting a helmet visor, fiddling with a troublesome glove, or just to give your right hand a break. At this point there's simply no reason for any bike (except the off-road variety) to omit a cruise control.

Third, the old Diavel lacked the high resolution TFT screen from the XDiavel. In fact, the old screen was just crap.

All of these issues have been corrected on the new model, along with a re-tuned version of the 160hp engine from the XDiavel, full titanium Termignoni exhaust as an option, and Ohlins suspension on the S model.

This really is the Batmobile of motorcycles.

Yes, please!

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For comparison, here's a review of the original Diavel as well as the X variant.

Diavel 2015

XDiavel 2017

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I sold my bike last spring. I was not riding it much after I retired (I used to ride it to work) and frankly, here in the metro-Detroit area I got tired of almost being erased off the planet by idiot Michigan drivers every time I rode. It was no fun riding in fear. Heck these idiots cannot even see my big maroon Silverado let alone my little sliver bike. So I felt there was no reason to pay insurance and maintain the bike.

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indian Chieftain Classic
View attachment 6910
I love the Indian look, and I'm starting to see more and more of them out on the road. I haven't ridden one myself, but I have sat on the Scout and briefly considered the Chief Dark Horse.

But like Harleys, they're super heavy and suck at slow speeds. I used to ride Harleys, but I've gotten used to lighter, better performing modern designs from BMW, Ducati, and KTM, so it's hard to go back. I test rode a Harley Street Glide last summer as my wife was considering riding with me, but the test ride didn't go well. It was so heavy I really felt uncomfortable. And when I hit a patch of construction debris while coming to an intersection, the rear end almost slipped out.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also have an Indian Scout 60. Wife says I have to sell it as a condition for having bought the Chieftain! Need a bike? Both bikes are actually super nimble. The rake on the Chieftain is 25 degrees so you can throw it around very easily - especially for an 850 pound bike. It handles like a dream. The Scout is a little rocket. Both are highly recommended. Indian is giving The Motor Company some real competition.