Motion Vehicle Affects ATT To Hit

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What would be nice is an official MMP chart, like the excellent Spilky charts, with the next Action Pack that covers ATT situations, Smoke, Armored Assault with applicable modifiers.

The Korean CVPA two sided chart from Schwerepunkt is awesome.
Will have to check it out!?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I thought that when you are firing smoke, you are targeting a hex, not specific units, thus no target based modifiers would be used, since the smoke would not be hitting them but the hex. If it were WP, that would be a different story, since it could affect specific units. Is there a Q&A regarding this issue?
Not that I'm aware of. Ordnance firing SMOKE fires on the Area Target Type [C3.33]. SMOKE is placed if there is a hit [C8.52]. Almost all DRM apply to the Area Target Type TH attempt as per normal (because no rule excludes them, except case K against an apparently empty hex per C6.2). If the hex is devoid of unarmored-target/unmanned-Gun/building/bridge/vehicle, C3.41 still allows such an ATT attack. The would be no DRM if firing SMOKE against an apparently empty hex (ATT using HE would get the +2 for case K).

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I thought that when you are firing smoke, you are targeting a hex, not specific units, thus no target based modifiers would be used, since the smoke would not be hitting them but the hex. If it were WP, that would be a different story, since it could affect specific units. Is there a Q&A regarding this issue?
Target Size applies to ATT attacks, and ATT is used when firing SMOKE (don't think thers's an exception). One can argue whether it should apply, but I believe under the current rule it does apply.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
There is no Hex Target Type. Only ITT, VTT, and ATT. The DRM's apply as ATT. When firing HE, you hit or miss depending on the DRM's and can both hit and miss multiple units with the same roll. When firing SMOKE, any hit is enough to place SMOKE in the hex (don't place your small target GUN in the same Location as your double large AFV). When firing WP, ANY hit is enough to affect all units in the HEX (A24.31), even the ones you couldn't hurt with an HE shot due to different DRM's noted above. By Q&A, WP is even able to hurt units you don't even have LOS to in the case of a Gully hex. -- jim

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
After reading your answers I think I can visualise why DRMs apply, including size. An empty hex gets the case K minimum, whereas in the case of a unit present, the DRMs associated to the unit will apply. The presence of a squad may make it easier to hit the area, but vehicles effect will vary depending on the size. It makes sense. Thanks

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is a q&a that is indirectly on the subject:

C3. & C6.2
Assume the following situation: A Mortar is 6 hexes away from a building hex that contains a concealed enemy unit. No To Hit DRM apply, so the Basic To Hit Number for the Area Target Type is 7 and vs. the concealed unit Case K (+2) applies. So I need a 5 or less to hit the concealed unit. If I roll a 6 or 7 I miss the concealed unit but do I still “hit” the building so I can roll an effects DR vs. it to possibly rubble it ?
A. No.
In this case the unit is not firing SMOKE but it still has to hit any non-HIP unit in order to hit the hex for other purposes.

JR