motion...moving...stopped...

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AFV A comes around a corner to see AFV B sitting there (stopped) waiting for him. B shoots at A and misses. B Stops and shots.

What are A's modifiers? I think he's in motion, but stopped (so he doesn't have to double the lower dr) right?

mharviala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Assuming that second to last sentence was 'A stops' then his mods are:
+4 Case C [bounding fire, assume normal Turret]
+1 Case I [BU]
with possibly
-1 / -2 Case L [Point blank - because he's not in motion]

Say a base 10 with +3 DRM.

Mika

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry about that. I did mean to write 'A Stops'.

I'm primarily struggling with the distinctions between the "moving" and "motion" differences.

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are actually 3 statuses:

Moving: The vehicle has moved at some point during the current MPh

Motion: Only apllicable outside of the MPh. Vehicle didn't spend a stop MP at the end of it's MPh.

Non-stopped. Only applicable DURING the MPh. Basically, it's the term for motion during the MPh. The vehicle has expended a MP to start, but not yet expended a MP to stop.

Jeff Ital

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Georgii2222 said:
There are actually 3 statuses:

Moving: The vehicle has moved at some point during the current MPh

Motion: Only apllicable outside of the MPh. Vehicle didn't spend a stop MP at the end of it's MPh.

Non-stopped. Only applicable DURING the MPh. Basically, it's the term for motion during the MPh. The vehicle has expended a MP to start, but not yet expended a MP to stop.
Actually, (and Ole, who wrote a whole article on this subject should jump in here), I would say that there are 4 statuses. The difference with the above is this:
A vehicle is Moving if it is that vehicle's MPh. A vehicle is a Moving Target if it has changed hexes during the turn's MPh. Moving Target status lasts at least until the RtPh (e.g. the +2 TH DRM is applicable in the DFPh).

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, It's starting to click...but I'd love to read an entire article (full of examples of course) with this topic. Are there any available?

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's an excellent article in the '96 Annual, called "Stop and Go Traffic". That's where all the nuances became clear to me.

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's an excellent article in the '96 Annual, called "Stop and Go Traffic". That's where all the nuances became clear to me.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Georgii2222 said:
Yes, that was the article that Ole Boe wrote. Excellent work, although it was based on the ASLRBv1. I would bet hat any changes in v2, however, were made to conform to the article.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also don't forget that case C1 and C2 would apply if AFV A is shooting in the MPh. If he chooses to wait until the ADFPh then these mods would not apply.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
My article was based on the v1 rulebook as Brian writes. Unfortunately, the v2 rulebook didn't make it that much clearer, but a few of the most vague places I mention in the article has been clarified in v2.

But to sum it up:

*A vehicle is "moving" from the start to the end of its MPh - just like any other unit. This don't mean much more than the fact that only moving units can be affected by DFF.

*A vehicle is a "Moving (vehicular) Target" (C.8 of all places), if it is/has been in Motion or moved to a new hex/used VBM during that turn. If a vehicle stops, this effect lasts until the end of the AFPh. Being a Moving Target means two important things (and a few less importnat other things): It is harder to hit (case J; +2), and it is not a TEM/Hindrance.

*Motion: As Georgii2222 writes, this is only applicable outside of the MPh, and means a vehicle which is not Stopped.

*Non-Stopped: Only applicable during the MPh, but there are a few differences between Non-Stopped and Motion. The most important is that a Non-Stopped vehicle does not become a Moving Target just because it is Non-Stopped. It must also move to a new hex/use VBM first.

ex: During the enemy MPh, if your Stopped AFV passes a Motion Attempt, it becomes in Motion, and therefore immediately becomes a Moving Target which gets case J +2 To Hit DRM when the enemy attacks it.
During your MPh, if your Stopped AFV expends a start MP, it can be attacked, and is still not a Moving Target.

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Ole,

I was actually able to borrow the Annual and read your article. It was helpful, especially the table which I have written down as a reference (until I get it chiseled into my head). That thing belongs on a reference card somewhere!