Mortar with no LOS to a KEU affecting all levels of a building

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was playing 'Kock Strong' from BFPs Poland in Flames tonight.

I had some machineguns in the split level buildings who took some pot shots at the advancing germans. The Germans then proceeded to assemble their 81mm mortars in a DFPh.

I decided I didn't want to play rough and skulked downstairs in my Aph.

My opponent had LOS to Level 2 (Hill+ Level1 of multi hex building) but not to my troops at level1. He wanted to fire HE - which would affect all levels of the building.

I thought if there had been a known enemy unit in LOS at Level2, he could have fired and the fire would have affected the units out of LOS. However without a KEU, he couldn't fire HE but could fire Smoke.

I could not find a rule reference. My opponent rolled snakes for Smoke and my half squad is now a Schrodingers half squad. Depending on the ruling he might get taken off...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I thought if there had been a known enemy unit in LOS at Level2, he could have fired and the fire would have affected the units out of LOS. However without a KEU, he couldn't fire HE but could fire Smoke.
He may fire HE, but unless he hits the hardest-to-hit non-HIP unit in LOS (of which there are none), he can't hit the units out of LOS. This is covered in C3.33. He might rubble the building or start a fire, of course.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had exactly that happen to me a while back in a scenario from PiF. My opponent had a LOS to a higher building level, applied Case K to the TH DR hit the level which eventually resulted in rubble, falling that collapsed the building & spreading rubble that not only KIAed my guys on the bottom floor but smashed a vehicle & some guys in the adjacent street.