Mortar LOS

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
A Mortar has a LOS to a level one building hex but not the ground level, fires and scores a critical hit. In the ground level are a concealed and unconcealed enemy unit. What happens? C3.41 rule says that Area fire can target an unmanned location/hex. Does the critical hit apply to both levels? Are both units affected? Too much wine here, need some help, cheers.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The units out of LOS are not attacked in this situation, and effect vs terrain is resolved as a non-CH attack.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If there were units in LOS and the hardest non-HIP among them was hit, the units out of LOS are hit too. When at ATT shot has a CH and there are targets in multiple locations, the location(s) affected is/are determined by random selection, and then if necessary the units within that location/those locations are determined by random selection again.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, JR's response is the more accurate in my estimation, though as Klas has pointed out effects vs terrain are not resolved as a CH.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cheers fellas, thought as much but it seems odd that the building is hit, critically, but there is no effect to the infantry units- must be hiding in a cupboard or something!!!!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cheers fellas, thought as much but it seems odd that the building is hit, critically, but there is no effect to the infantry units- must be hiding in a cupboard or something!!!!
It's a omniscient player thing. Would you have fired inn the empty building if you didn't know there was someone there out of sight?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The caveat to this situation is that if the levels above the out of LOS ground level contained no visible units (or no units at all) and the mortar had achieved a hit applying a +2 TH DRM for hypothetically HIP units in any of those locations in LOS, the units at ground level would still be hit,...
In order to possibly hit such units out-of-LOS with a MTR you need to (per C3.33): "hit the non-hidden enemy target that currently was the hardest for it to hit".

So units out of LOS are immune to hits when there is no non-hidden unit that can be hit.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In order to possibly hit such units out-of-LOS with a MTR you need to (per C3.33): "hit the non-hidden enemy target that currently was the hardest for it to hit".

So units out of LOS are immune to hits when there is no non-hidden unit that can be hit.
Ah yes, AND I KNEW THAT!:eek: Glad you corrected me!:thumbsup:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yup, once again getting it confused with treating all "dummies" as a single unit. NOTE TO SELF: Don't post before you've had your first cup of morning Joe!:confused: Thanks again!
There are two situations with concealed units where a random-selection-like process is followed. One is pure random selection, e.g. for a CH. and in that case all units and all concealed counters are rolled for [A.9]. The other is random selection for a sniper. In random selection for a SAN the concealed units are treated as a single element at first [A14.23]. For SAN there may be a subsequent random selection if the concealed element is chosen, and it contains more than one unit.

Personally I never remember which i the right procedure for which, and I will look the rules up when necessary.

JR