Mortar LOS with HIP enemy units

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am in a game right now and of course, I am a newbie. S13, I have Germans all HIP with 3 foxholes HIP. To determine before the first turn, LOS of mortars is as per the squad in that hex? or the mortar itself with 45 range (16) to lose my HIP of the foxholes?

Hope I am clear on this, first time with scenario outside of ASLSK.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOS to your HIPsters is as long as the LOS is clear of blockage.
So, if your fh is in '?'-terrain, they lose HIP status per case L if closest GO enemy is >=17 hexes; case H or L if <=16 hexes. if not in '?'-terrain and in LOS of GO enemy ground unit, case H or L applies. See chapter A divider.

The mortar's or MMC's range is just for shooting at things. LOS could potentially stretch the whole length of the playing area.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think I get it, unfortunately I am new at ASL and only have the SK. I do not have a concealment table so Case H and L don't mean much unfortunately. Today I do not have access to a rule book so I am at a loss. But I will take what I got from your reply and uncover my foxholes. They are in open ground within 16 hexes of mortar. Hope this is right.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Josh,

Your foxholes must be in LOS of a Good Order enemy ground unit for you to lose concealment/HIP in the case you're describing. Sounds like that's what you mean.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think I got it right now. It is the squad that must have a unobstructed LOS to my foxholes but the range comes from the mortar. In my case, I was out of range of the squad with the mortar but a clear LOS, so the mortar LOS made my foxholes become visible from HIP.