More thoughts on the Scenario Designers Guide

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

I think we need a scenario designers guide to designing a scenario around crappy troops and tin cans.

A guide to Waffen-SS scenario design would also be a good thing too..........

Scott

arno_FR

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Anyone else care to contribute a topic? If enough people join in, we can run it as a series of essays and I will serve as editor.
Maybe... OoBs using available ASL Modules at the moment. Very hard topic.
An useful topic could be a complete set of free graphics (MMC, AFV, Weapons, etc.).

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I was thinking of writing an ASL Players Guide which would cover such important topics as
  • glass vs tower
  • IFT v. IIFT
  • Counter storage
  • TTP v. "Official ASL"
  • Little known rules and how you can use them to sleaze your opponent
  • How to talk your opponent into playing the down side of one-sided dogs for tournament greatness
  • ASOP: Rigid rule or sportsman's guideline
  • Rules which I would like to see changed so I can be a better player
  • Towards a more realistic ASL
  • The fundamental importance of historical accuracy in determining a scenario's fun factor
  • Missing unit types and how they would make the game better
  • MMP's flaws and alternatives to their stewardship
  • Living rules and how they would make ASL better (including a sub-topic on how a rules committe would be better than a central aughtority)
  • Maybe a chapter on the the personalities of ASL
Anyone else care to contribute a topic? If enough people join in, we can run it as a series of essays and I will serve as editor. We will make sure to pitch it to anyone who wants to run it. I will not be paying contributors much as I am looking to get rich of the shoulders of others efforts (I will be a TPP after all and ethics are not our strong suit apparently). Any interest in such a product? -- jim
what about :
* precison dice vs ordinary dice
* VASL dicebot, how you can discover when the Java engine is cheating or simply is jammed .
* How you can become a popular designer through a clever use of ROAR (including the mirror sub topic on how to bash a rival designer)

:clown:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
* How you can become a popular designer through a clever use of ROAR (including the mirror sub topic on how to bash a rival designer)
:clown:
Please, players only topics. Your first two though are excellent suggestions.

I thought of some more:
  • Rude treatment of fellow ASL'ers and how it helps to expand the hobby
  • ASLSK: Spawn of the devil and how its killing the hobby

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While all of this has been going on, I've been compiling the Encyclopedia of Scenario Design. The ultimate reference source for scenario design. Watch for it.

Bruce

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Please, players only topics. Your first two though are excellent suggestions.

I thought of some more:
  • Rude treatment of fellow ASL'ers and how it helps to expand the hobby
  • ASLSK: Spawn of the devil and how its killing the hobby
Black SS counters: Closet Jew-hater or just an eye for fashion?
ASL Forums: How to keep out the riff-raff

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for the detailed response...It is much appreciated sir!

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to buy Dorosh's guide/handbook/textbook for two reasons:

1. It's not the "Ultimate Toolset", and

2. It doesn't have any "free" scenarios.

What gives Dorosh? How can I possibly buy something without free scenarios in it?

JB

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thank you for the detailed response...It is much appreciated sir!
It was an excellent question; I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to put that kind of information into the preview. I've since updated the preview at lulu.com with that info. I may need to revise my images in the preview because of the downsampling. Thanks for the interest.

To John - their printing time sometimes exceeds expectations; my own print run appears to have been completed in just 3 days also. It used to be a 2 week wait for colour print jobs.

To Barber - Fair enough. I admire your scruples. Expect a complimentary copy in the mail just as soon as you send me your mailing address and banking information (purely to verify your age, naturally).

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought MD's book...I also own Mark's book. I will soon be the GOD of scenario design...BWWWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kneel before Zod!

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Too bad the Curse of TPP will mean Darth Tater's designs will never see print. :cool:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Btw, I'm doing a Scenario Designer's Manual. Or should I call it Scenario Designers Manual? Hmm. Scenario Designers' Manual? Oh, this will take a long time. Only the title is soo much work. Anyway, it will be followed by the more extensive Scenario Designer's Textbook.
I am beginning to think you should! Sales of my guide have increased since his announcement, so they would only increase more if you did one, too. :)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

I think we need a scenario designers guide to designing a scenario around crappy troops and tin cans.

A guide to Waffen-SS scenario design would also be a good thing too..........

Scott
It could include black counters! Oh, wait...

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL Forums: How to keep out the riff-raff
Hey, that topic belongs to Robin and me exclusively! (We pay Donbro big bucks just to maintain the Official rights!)

you're heading toward riff-raffhood, my man, you're heading toward riff-raffhood!

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too bad the Curse of TPP will mean Darth Tater's designs will never see print. :cool:
Sure they will...if MMP didn't want to publish them I could put them up for free download (or e-mail attachment). I wouldn't use CR'ed layout or graphics (unless given permission).

You see, it is very, VERY easy to produce scenarios without stealing. The TPP ought to give it a try some time. OTOH, when they have a customer base lacking morals/ethics (EX: Portal) and willing to pay anything for another fix...why should they bother. :smoke:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Surely...

Talk of the handbook as opposed to the guide means this thread has been hijacked...

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re: Surely...

Talk of the handbook as opposed to the guide means this thread has been hijacked...
I for one am acutely aware of that; I had considered simply bumping this thread initially rather than starting my own thread, but frankly did not want to resurrect the negative comments on Mark's book. I regret that the thread was bumped. However, now that conversation has moved here, I also thought it would be unseemly simply to bump my own thread, particularly since the questions were raised here.

Nonetheless, if Mark's sales have gone up as a result of the discussion, then I think we have something known as "win-win." Frankly, I'm glad to hear that news.

For better or worse, my book enters the pantheon. Once it is in the hands of those who have ordered (and those to whom I've promised complimentary copies) we shall see if it sinks or swims. As an aside, if Mark would like a complimentary volume for his collection, I'd be happy to send him an autographed copy. His book is mentioned in my Acknowledgements as well as the list of resources in the appendices. If ASL has its own history (and thanks to Mark, its own comprehensive online museum), then if nothing else my attempt at literature can be considered a "historical curiosity" - rather than "just" a curiosity. :)

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Re: Surely...

Once it is in the hands of those who have ordered (and those to whom I've promised complimentary copies)
You forgot to contact me about sending my complimentary copy. I'll forgive you this time, baby eater, but don't let it happen again! :(