More "real" SMC names please

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I wish similar care was taken for other nationalities....
Better still would be to get the names right.

Field Marshal Paulus' name was Paulus. "von Paulus" is a fictional dude. How on earth did that get through all of VotG's lengthy development? (Granted that MMP were not the first, and probably won't be the last, to make the same stupid research error.)

(I have a suspicion that some people were of the opinion that you couldn't be promoted to Field Marshal if you didn't have "von" in your name. Sort of a lateral offshoot of folk etymology. The reason that so many German Field Marshals do have a "von" surname has a lot more to do with how your social background affected your promotion chances in the German military ....)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have a suspicion that some people were of the opinion that you couldn't be promoted to Field Marshal if you didn't have "von" in your name.
Rommel was a Field Marshal. So was Göring. Kesselring. Keitel. No one would add "von" to their names.

JR

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Late in replying but I tend to use real names for various nationalities. I usually use names of real soldiers from the war I have read about. Have also used made up name for some SASL SMC's specific to that nationality. One example is British Cpl. Smyth, a champion motorcycle racer before the war, seen below riding his 1937 Vincent Rapide series A cycle from his family's estate in Hastingleigh to Hythe to assist local Home Guard in repelling German invasion during Sea Lion.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think it is better to have mainly historical names in the historical modules and some of the designers, play testers thrown in .

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Lt. Lazov and Sgt. Lazov are both valid. I supposedly had an uncle in the KGB Col. Spirov (The communist version of my last name).

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I name leaders on VASL, I google the first names of their nationality.
There are lists for all of them.
With cardboard, I rarely select leaders which name doesn't match their nationality, but if a leader has the name of a designer and it corresponds with the nationality (e.g. US Sgt Nixon or Axis Minor Martuzas) I don't mind.
I'm just becoming re-acquainted with VASL after several years, and I didn't realize that you could 'name' the SMC counters. Could you tell me how you can do this within the VASL program, and is it possible to add ID letters to MMC's, Guns, Vehicles as well?

Thank You!

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm just becoming re-acquainted with VASL after several years, and I didn't realize that you could 'name' the SMC counters. Could you tell me how you can do this within the VASL program, and is it possible to add ID letters to MMC's, Guns, Vehicles as well?

Thank You!
Ctrl-L or right click and pick "Label"...
Steve

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Thank You!
To have a leader name appear ON the counter (like reality), as opposed to ON THE TOP EDGE of the counter, use Ctrl-N.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Thank You!
In case you have not noticed: Note, that you can also use Berserk or Fanatic flags on the left side of the counter. Nice feature which reduces counter clutter and works well.

von Marwitz

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you everyone for the VASL tips! Those anonymous SMC counters just look so empty.