More "real" SMC names please

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This would work for quite a few I would think.

On the other hand, someone could check with BG and see if he can drum up support for a nationalities production of actual names for each country or I am sure that there is a way to print your own and make the counters/ names that you would like to see. I know people have done this last one with quite a few variants.
BG SMCs already have nationality appropriate names. I even "solved" the black SMC naming thing... sort of.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Am I the only one who feels this way?
Hopefully, yes.

I guess I'm lucky in that my Germanic surname is directly or indirectly suitable for a whole host of nationalities [although, ironically, probably not Australian; there certainly were Probsts living in Australia at that time (including my grandfather), but we were very few in number and generationally misplaced (my grandfather was too old -- he had served in WW1 -- and my father was too young)].

And yet, the chances of me ever getting an actual, honest-to-God German leader (or hero) named after me is probably around 0% these days.

Oh well, I just have to put up with the cowardly probably-Dutch-but-maybe-Polish Cpl Probst (he's a complete loser) and the staunchly-heroic-but-guaranteed-Sniper-bait Hungarian Lt. Probst. The names only matter in that when playing a scenario featuring either an Allied Minor 7-0 or a Hungarian 9-2 I'll go out of my way to make sure the counters are in play. As for the names of other counters, well, really, unless it's the name of my current opponent (so I can get the satisfaction of subjecting them to a horrible death), who cares?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so true.....but one day.....one day when all this is over and Donald Trump is no more than a vaguely worn old joke......
You have no idea how long history's memory is...we still read Herodotus...Trump's internet posts will be reading material for eons...this is the horror, the horror, the horror...use the Col. Kurtz voice....Oh and to stay on topic is that okay as a SMC name? Or b/c it is a war not yet in ASL is that NA? I am sure a Kurtz served somewhere in WW2 for a couple of sides of the coin...

SMC names only matter in HASL modules...after that rewarding the PTers is far more important. As NO module gets done without their hard work. So a Sgt. Millerski is fine. Get over it.

{Edit: I realize I may have made my point too sharply on Trump "statements" and folks might have missed the Herodotus point, i.e. the statements of politicians and leaders linger LONG in the record of history...even in ink on papyrus...I should have cast my net more widely...like...we will read about "red lines in the sand," and "I did not have sex with that woman," and so on and so forth...history's record is long in the tooth. The point is not political (P.M.W.) the point is about history's ability to hold data...like the sprocket drive on an M-18. So nothing to police up here by the PC police. Thank you very much.}

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Guys, could we please keep the political content dialled back a bit, otherwise I might be tempted by sense of duty to move this to the politics section?

Mind you, a politics thread on the lines of "What would Trump look like as an ASL SMC" might generate some amusement. I have a few ideas and rules variations, but not here.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was gonna say : immigrants, x-Anglo ethnicities or foreign troops

Immigrants, foreign troops or x-Anglo ethnicities in the German (+ SS), Russian, British, American armies (etc) .. should be able to just use a game contributor's name for SMC counters instead of having to "Russian-fy" or "German-fy" or "Anglo-fy" their names.

Eg Japanese last names on American SMC or German last names on Chinese Nationalist SMC or French last names on SS SMC are equally valid.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Last edited:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing that slightly annoys me in our beloved game is the frivolous and non-historical naming of SMC for some nationalities.

The Russian one is probably the worst....all these "Russianised" names of American ASL players.....(a hero called Nixoniev, a leader called Fortov) but there are many other nationalities suffering like this.

I like the idea of folks doing a lot of work on the game to get their own counters, but I would prefer if they were limited to nationalities where such names actually exist and would be complemented by a wide range of real names.

I somehow think it diminishes our game's respect for the men who wore those uniforms and sacrificed their lives in the war, for whatever nation called them to arms.

I am not a person driven by PC at every turn, but I do really enjoy putting Sgt Meier or Captain Turnbull on the map. I do not really like having silly names on my key counters.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ex-president of the Russian Academy of Sciences will be crushed to learn he’s actually an American. At least now Putin can claim the ouster in 2017 was justified.

When I’m allowed to name SMC I try to do a bit of research to get as close as possible to actual surnames.

P.S. Nixoniev is pretty bad...not sure where that came from.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You're just bitter because they haven't named a leader counter after you.

JR
I do have a leader counter named after me by MMP and I agree completely with him. But we're talking personal preferences here, so he's entitled to his opinion as much as you are yours. It's not like anything will change.

As silly as Connerski sounds, still better than the system they used for naming the counters in SPI's City Fight....

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're just bitter because they haven't named a leader counter after you.

JR
I'd be bitter if they made a 10-3 counter with my name on it.
Everybody knows that somehow these always seem to get hit by the first Sniper...

von Marwitz

All you gotta do is order your own leader mix from Critical miss, RT will make you famous in every nationality on a single countersheet, dontcha know"?

;) :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I really will like to read those f.. little names on the counters without problem.. I prefer a single letter or name using CAPITAL letters ?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All you gotta do is order your own leader mix from Critical miss, RT will make you famous in every nationality on a single countersheet, dontcha know"?

;) :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:
I really will like to read those f.. little names on the counters without problem.. I prefer a single letter or name using CAPITAL letters ?