More map shenanigans (i.e., bugs and other difficulties)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Looking at scenario RPT90 "Need a Ticket to Ride"

The map config required is:

34 (cropped Q-GG) 9a
7b (cropped 1-10) NUL

No big deal there, except:

We already know the bug that swaps the corner boards when you try to crop them. So if you want to crop 7b, you have to tell VASL that you're cropping 9a. Weird but we can cope. Except ... when you tell it to crop to co-ords 1-10, it actually removes the entire board!

Further testing found that it appears to be impossible to crop a Fort board at all. I tried cropping board 7b with no other boards ... and nothing happened. No errors, just no result. Add another board into the mix and cropping "works", if by "works" you mean "delete the board".

It gets worse. Board 9a requires two RR overlays. If you layout the maps as above and then try and add the overlays, nothing happens. No errors, but no overlays. If you first layout boards 34 and 9a, then add the overlays, and then add the bottom row maps, the overlays work perfectly. I can't even begin to guess what is happening there.

So much for the bugs. What follows are not bugs, but are a limitation in VASL that would be nice if we could get a solution for:

The scenario requires that Ground Snow is in effect but that the grain hexes remain in effect (they're actually plowed fields, but that makes no difference to VASL). My first instinct was to transform the grain into vineyards and hope that the Ground Snow transformation would leave them alone. Nope. Other possible transformations will duplicate existing terrain so will just be confusing and unhelpful. My only other thought was adding lots of draggable overlays onto the existing grain hexes and then applying the Ground Snow transformation, which I believe should work but will be pretty tedious (there are a lot of grain hexes). I didn't test this, I'm just assuming it would be OK.

Therefore, as a feature request, it would be nice if Ground Snow transformation included the option to leave grain hexes alone. Maybe it could be broken down into tick boxes like the PTO transformations.

My environment is Win-64, Java 8.201 (64-bit), VASL 6.4.3, VASSAL 3.2.17.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Trying to replicate the bugs you found. I was able to crop 7b from left, right, top and bottom when it was the only board in the map.

The first bug you mention, trying to crop when using a map with a 2 x 2 board or greater layout is DEFINITELY a bug. Which I think I have fixed - it has worked in testing so far.

However, I am not seeing the different bug with Fort boards. Could you give it another shot?

I will look into the overlay bug . . . there is a good chance it is the same problem as cropping in a 2 x 2 or greater board layout. If so, the same fix should work.

Attachments

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Well ... today the cropping of 7b works fine. It certainly didn't yesterday. Maybe it needed the reloading of VASL from scratch (I had been playing around with the boards for a while so I guess my cache or whatever had a lot in it).

Adding the overlays after placing all the maps is working too (although the layout bug meant that I had to add them to map 7b in order for them to show up on 9a).

Weird. I guess the moral is when in doubt, restart VASL and start from scratch.

Thanks for taking a look any way.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have done some further testing, and as far as I can see, the fix for cropping also solved the bug with the overlays. The new module with the fix should issue around the end of March.

Here is a link to a test module. If you have time to try it and test that indeed things are working properly, I would appreciate it.