More goodies for the forums

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have a lot of stuff I've been meaning to get to when I returned from vacation. The first one was to tweak the forum a bit. There have been some minor changes to the graphics, but the big change is the addition of several new style sets. If you don't like the white/blue forum default colors you can now change between several alternate schemes. To change your style set simple click on the User CP button above, then follow this to the Options menu. At the bottom of that menu you will see a dropdown menu that allows you to toggle between different style sets. I hope you find one to your liking.

I'm also planning to implement a new rank/usergroup system in the next day or two. This system will allow users to choose to belong to different usergroups - such as Wehrmacht, US Army, Soviet, etc - and this will cause user's rank to change to an appropriate insignia for that army.

I'm also thinking of allowing users to belong to specific units - example US 82nd Arborne, 1st SS Panzer, etc - however, in order to have a system this in-depth I might have to substitute a unit insignia where we currently have our avatars. I don't know if I can get this to work or not yet, I'm still experimenting with it. Do you like this idea, or would you rather keep the current avatars?

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
If it's a choice between insignias, or avatars, I would prefer avatars.

Oh...and welcome back from your vacation!

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

Why is it every time Don Maddox comes back from his vacation, something have to change on this great forum?

I have my suspicions, I think he wants to turn this great forum into a Francophile forum and a platform for further the United Nations' expansion into the lives of ordinary Americans!

Fight the brainwashing process, Don Maddox, it is your duty to this great country to keep the forum as it is! Do not let Francophiles get their way!

Fight, I implore you! Fight! Do not let Jlbetin or LaPolice gloat! Heck, do not let Kraut win!

Dan :D :cool:

PS. I wasn't really kidding...I think, could I do that? Probably not. :surprise: :p

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Cheetah772 said:
Hello,

.../...

Fight, I implore you! Fight! Do not let Jlbetin or LaPolice gloat! Heck, do not let Kraut win!

Dan :D :cool:

PS. I wasn't really kidding...I think, could I do that? Probably not. :surprise: :p
Oh God, why people say LaPolice ? It's a "a" crénom d'un chien !

Otherwise, well, I prefer the avatars :)

A bientôt, Franck.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Okay, I'll leave the avatars intact. I'll work on the other stuff later today. I will also try to find a way to use the unit insignias for those that prefer this, that way everyone is happy.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
me 2 .. (3, 4, 5, 9..?) vote for avatar :p

But different camp might be interesting, actually it can go beyond forum, but right into game sessions... just a wild thought :confused:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to be messing with some of the ranks in the next hour or so, but I'm not going to shut the forum down. Just be aware a few things could change at some point. The avatars are staying the same.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see the "user group" symbol as just another confusing or useless image clogging up the screen.

I don't like them at all.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Palantir said:
I see the "user group" symbol as just another confusing or useless image clogging up the screen.

I don't like them at all.
If the majority of members don't like the new alternate ranks, I can replace that with a small flag (France, USA, Canada, etc). Let's hear what you think. :cool:

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
If the majority of members don't like the new alternate ranks, I can replace that with a small flag (France, USA, Canada, etc). Let's hear what you think. :cool:
Can't you replace them with the US Flag ONLY? :D

Dan :flag:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Cheetah772 said:
Can't you replace them with the US Flag ONLY? :D

Dan :flag:
Okay, several of you have emailed me about all the new ranks slowing down the forum. I didn't think about that before. I also never realized that the ranks on the forum were getting people confused with the ranks on the ladder. That's a valid point that I had not considered.

After thinking about it further I believe I will do the flag idea. That will reduce the number of graphics on the forum significantly, even from where it was with the original ranks. This should also help the new members so they don't get confused.

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
:( that soldier looks sad, i dont see the point in putting it there.
but some good ole flagwaving cant hurt, the flags should be okay.

and of course i want be a sergeant inst af an ''enlisted soldier''

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think you're taking Cheetah772's idea a little too literally. I should have a Canadian flag, not American.

VW

Reaction score
tigersqn said:
I think you're taking Cheetah772's idea a little too literally. I should have a Canadian flag, not American.
Read the first post in the forum. The one that says Announcement. :devil:

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Volkswagen said:
Read the first post in the forum. The one that says Announcement. :devil:
Hmmm. I selected to go into the Canadian usergroup. When I checked, it said that I couldn't leave the primary group (US default) and loeft the US flag with me.

Any other way to do this ?