More from Wild Bill

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
There was a Yahoo Group (I think?) that I got involved with briefly through Steve Swann 3-4 (?) years back. As I recall there were general rules and a set of theater specific rules for The Falklands, and one other theater of operations that eludes me right at the moment. From what I saw, it looked like the rules were at a 2nd or 3rd pass level and seemed to have been thought out well. I wasn't involved for long, but the rules and few scenarios that I saw seemed to be focused on infantry actions, which is not surprising, ASL being a better infantry game than it is an armored game. My impression was there was a lack of critical mass?
Actually the Falklands Campaign is in playtest at present with 8 scenarios, counters for the Argies and Brits, and maps based on Falkland terrain. Anyone wanting to assist in the PT can join the MASL Yahoo Group. A CG (Goose Green I think) is also being worked on.

Casta

Could be worse...
Reaction score
A dozen or so years ago, I got ahold of an amateur Modern ASL thingy. I don't remember too much about it but I believe it was photocopied material including rules and counters for Vietnam-era ASL. It was experimental, not really a completed system. It was just called Modern ASL, or MASL.

Anyone else have that or remember where it came from? I think I got it at convention, but maybe it came with an issue of ASLUG or something (Fort?).
Mark Neukom designed "Grounding Noriega" MASL 1.

Peace,

Casta

Last edited:

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Yep that's the one.

You guys have good memories - I'd forgotten the name of the scenario or that the scenario even existed.

Kind of interesting that there is still a group going strong devoted to it. I figured it was just a one-off project that had been long ago abandoned.