More from Wild Bill

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
"Death from Above" can't hold a candle to HoB and BF's latest plane counters. Thank you, Wild Bill! By coming out with this stuff I am no longer a manic completist.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Death from Above" can't hold a candle to HoB and BF's latest plane counters. Thank you, Wild Bill! By coming out with this stuff I am no longer a manic completist.
For the prices he gets, NO ONE could be a completist.

That's why I try to get the quality items from BFP and the Official items from MMP. HOB, Lone Canuck and FE items when I have more money.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think his "A Port Too Far" on St Nazaire is also new. The sob keeps churning them out. I wish there were something that could be done.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Seriously, who buys this sh1t? The maps make Dolans Ruweisat Ridge crayon map look like high art......

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Seriously, who buys this sh1t? The maps make Dolans Ruweisat Ridge crayon map look like high art......
Now that is a stretch in my book. I am still waiting for CH's latest version. Must be the only module CH is not on version "3.3b".

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just goes to show ya that this place or the morons here on GS are not the be all and end all for ASL.

Yes there are people out there that play ASL and collect ASL, even if it was a patato stamped with the ASL logo.

Scott

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I think his "A Port Too Far" on St Nazaire is also new. The sob keeps churning them out. I wish there were something that could be done.
He is going to have to do a real good job (yeah right) to do better than the LFT product on Nazaire, which is one of the best products I have bought in a long time.

If you look at his information, it appears he also rips of PB and PL as well.

Peace

Roger

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Can help you there! I have a VEREY special edition collectable merchandise for the SERIOUS ASL collector out there (no time waster please!).
Before I put oit up on ebay I'm going to posyt it here for all you lucky people out thgere. I'm not going to take private messages on this one so post your top bid openly and let's see what it goes for:

(post and packing not included, taxes to be paid by recipient, actual item may avry from that shown, no playtesting is warranted)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
With the postal strikes here 'M WILLING TO HAND deliver to the highest bidder soP7P SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN £500 OR SO. Caps lok'dconverSATIONS ARE standard with this model, speliling and grammar optional.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well, you've questioned his parentage in open forum, mis-represented his wargaming and publishing background on a universally read review site, harshly criticized his products on a widely read gaming forum, and issued an all-points consumer bulletin in the online ASL Encyclopedia warning away all comers. I think that pretty much covers all the bases, and any reasonable course of action open to you, given he's done nothing illegal or immoral.

There is, of course, one other option.

That would be to compete directly with him. I'd say if you're really concerned that he's making "too much money" with his poorly designed Vietnam-themed ASL "stuff", the answer would be to design a better product and offer it up at competitive prices. I think that's how America works, or somefink. Then again, when your market includes a small segment of impulse shopping completist hoarders, it probably doesn't matter.

But that being the case, why complain about impulse shopping completist hoarders spending their money any way they want? It's not like they're not buying the good stuff, too.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No argument from me...but, no matter how bad his stuff is, it still doesn't rise to the level of copying the work of others and trying to sell said copies as one's own original work.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well, you've questioned his parentage in open forum, mis-represented his wargaming and publishing background on a universally read review site, harshly criticized his products on a widely read gaming forum, and issued an all-points consumer bulletin in the online ASL Encyclopedia warning away all comers. I think that pretty much covers all the bases, and any reasonable course of action open to you, given he's done nothing illegal or immoral.

There is, of course, one other option.

That would be to compete directly with him. I'd say if you're really concerned that he's making "too much money" with his poorly designed Vietnam-themed ASL "stuff", the answer would be to design a better product and offer it up at competitive prices. I think that's how America works, or somefink. Then again, when your market includes a small segment of impulse shopping completist hoarders, it probably doesn't matter.

But that being the case, why complain about impulse shopping completist hoarders spending their money any way they want? It's not like they're not buying the good stuff, too.
Apologies for the self-referential quote, but a second option also presents itself. If taking the time to come up with a "better product" presents logistical difficulties, one could also simply flood the market with a whole host of really bad imitations in an attempt to drive him out of business. On further reflection, that's what happened to my hobby uniform business, once some Hong Kong knock-off artists saw there was money to be made.

I mean, if anyone is really uptight enough that they want to see Wild Bill's enterprise fail, the solution would be to undercut the undercutter. One can curse the darkness - in thread after thread after thread - or light a candle and start issuing their own USMC, St. Nazaire, Solitaire, etc. modules. I mean, the implication has been that it doesn't require any actual rules design knowledge, playtesting, or special art skill. And you may even make some money at it. Issue the monkeys their marching orders.

You know - one might even consider making a forum contest out of it. :laugh:

The agony of scruples. There would be a certain irony in destroying the purity of the ASL third party publication collection in order to save it from Wild Bill; kind of fits in with the whole Vietnam theme.

Personally, I say he's not hurting anyone, and it's probably time to leave him alone to conduct his business in peace. Grown men are buying from him in a free economy and are free to do what they wish and they are able to make an informed choice - if they choose.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
<sarcasm on>

But it's Wild Bill so it must be gospel. He's been going strong since 1982 (did the first SL PTO which eerily turned into COB & GH many years later (with some obvious improvements from AH of course).

</sarcasm off>

You don't know how many times I have seen his Korea & Vietnam stuff since 1982 and all the Marine stuff...