More Dummy Fun

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Upcoming scenario includes 2 x AFVs and 6 x concealment counters for use during set up. Playing includes Level 1 and Level 2 hills. Plan is to use all 5/8" concealment counters to conceal both vehicles and create 2 x dummy stacks, all on Level 2 hills (set up hexes are otherwise open ground). Opponent will also have Level 2 hills, but will be attacking, so I anticipate he'll set up on Level 0 roads behind obstacles. Questions:
1) Can each of the ? stacks roll for HD attempts, even if they are dummy stacks?
2) If the answer to 1 is yes, would any shots at dummy stacks that achieved HD status have to take that into account on the TH DR?
3) If opponent sets up on Level 2 Hills and has clear LOS to my concealed stacks, are the AFVs revealed, and dummy stacks removed if not in concealment terrain? A12.2 seems to be the controlling rule. I assume that as long as I could maintain the +1 TEM for height advantage, the concealment counters/dummy stacks could remain in place even if there was no other in-hex TEM.(?)

Set up options for the scenario are limited, so I'm hoping to have my opponent waste a least a turn trying to figure out where the AFVs are located.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Upcoming scenario includes 2 x AFVs and 6 x concealment counters for use during set up. Playing includes Level 1 and Level 2 hills. Plan is to use all 5/8" concealment counters to conceal both vehicles and create 2 x dummy stacks, all on Level 2 hills (set up hexes are otherwise open ground). Opponent will also have Level 2 hills, but will be attacking, so I anticipate he'll set up on Level 0 roads behind obstacles. Questions:
1) Can each of the ? stacks roll for HD attempts, even if they are dummy stacks?
2) If the answer to 1 is yes, would any shots at dummy stacks that achieved HD status have to take that into account on the TH DR?
3) If opponent sets up on Level 2 Hills and has clear LOS to my concealed stacks, are the AFVs revealed, and dummy stacks removed if not in concealment terrain? A12.2 seems to be the controlling rule. I assume that as long as I could maintain the +1 TEM for height advantage, the concealment counters/dummy stacks could remain in place even if there was no other in-hex TEM.(?)

Set up options for the scenario are limited, so I'm hoping to have my opponent waste a least a turn trying to figure out where the AFVs are located.
  1. No. Dummies can't become HD.
  2. n/a
  3. OB-given "?" (which will include dummies) must set up in concealment terrain [A12.12]. They might move to non-concealment terrain. All 5/8" dummies lose concealment as 1/2" dummies, which in most (day-time) cases is enough to signal that a 5/8" dummy is not a vehicle if not in concealment terrain (because a vehicle would lose concealment while a 5/8" dummy would not).
JR

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You missed an important point. OP given concealment can ONLY be placed in concealment terrain when setting up. It doesn't matter if it is used to conceal real units or make dummies, if your opponent sets up on map or not (or has already set up on the map). See A12.12

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I think I was also mixing in provisions of A12.34 which allows for HIP guns to set up in non-concealment terrain out of LOS, but as soon as LOS is gained, it has to be placed on board under a ? counter.