more doom 3 stuff

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Terry Patterson said:
the brightnes slider only effected certain things,not the game overall.at least on my computer anyway.
Well, that would be cool if the game turns into "Neon Hello Kitty" if you turn brightness too high :)

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:
I also found it gets much better after the first levels, the first levels were dull and as you say just dark. I pause for now to wait for the Linux client but I'm sure I'll finish it.

Actually, this is pretty indicative of the whole game in my opinion. While I enjoyed the game overall, it really didn't leave the type of impression that some games do. For example, the "catastrophic event" in Half-Life is etched in my mind forever and I remember that whole thing with great clarity. In contrast, I had to replay the first level of Doom III when I was done because I had forgetten at exactly what point everything came crashing down.

:D

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Terry Patterson said:
i think we will have much to talk about when half-life 2 arrives!
If it does...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/24/news_6108100.html

"In court filings dated August 27, 2004, VU Games' senior vice president and deputy general counsel Eric Roeder entered the following statement into the record.

'Valve has announced that it will deliver a release candidate version of Half-Life 2 (HL2) (a game required under the 2001 SPA) to Sierra/VUG within the next few weeks. If Valve delivers a release candidate version that complies with the contract and is a Final Milestone, then VUG will have six months to release the product under the 2001 SPA...'

The statement's implication is that VUG, angry with Valve's 'public statements,' could sit on Half-Life 2 for up to six months."

VU is the publisher of HL2 (Vivendi Universal), which means that they have the say in when it gets shipped. With the legal battles between Valve and Vivendi (developer and publisher, respectively), it could mean that Vivendi could delay the release of the game...:( I would hope not.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The release canidate version is a version of the game that the developer sends to a publisher. If the publisher thinks that it is worth of being the final product, the software will "go gold" and the game will start to be made. If it is rejected, then the developer has to go back and improve the game. IIRC the developer of HL2 (Valve) just recently sent in another release canidate, don't remember if it went gold or not though.

That is the problem with this. I remember false "going gold" news stories, and various release date things, and they all get jumbled up in my head to the point where now I don't know what its status is...

Patrocles

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed the v0.005 Ducttape mod for Doom3 that allows you to have a small flashlight (it is smaller than the default handheld flashlight) attached to your shotgun and mg. Using this mod I'm able to survive because i can see and shoot at bad guys where before one has to switch repeatedly between the flashlight and guns (lame imho). I also found the game scarier with the mod than the original version. Now I find it more frightening to be swinging my gun with flashlight around and suddenly a monsters head pops up a few feet from my face! :scream: