more doom 3 stuff

Joined
Apr 9, 2004
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Location
Walla walla, Washington
Country
llUnited States
finally got this game! im about 3 hours into it and had to take a break.its making me a nervous wreck.ha ha i can see now what all the fuss was about,this game looks great.it was a little choppy at first but after some fine tuning it smoothed out and runs fine now.ive got the res set at 1280x1040,and ive got to tell you the graphics are pretty stunning,ive jumped more than once already!thanks to everyone here that recomended it,im having a blast.
 

Priest

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
2,132
Reaction score
4
Location
Denver, Colorado
Terry Patterson said:
finally got this game! im about 3 hours into it and had to take a break.its making me a nervous wreck.ha ha i can see now what all the fuss was about,this game looks great.it was a little choppy at first but after some fine tuning it smoothed out and runs fine now.ive got the res set at 1280x1040,and ive got to tell you the graphics are pretty stunning,ive jumped more than once already!thanks to everyone here that recomended it,im having a blast.
How does this game play? I've heard it described as DOOM 1 with better graphics.
 
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
2,155
Reaction score
1
Location
Secret Island Base
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I gave up playing after level 3.

It's too dark, to the extent that I have a monster headache after I play it for even short bursts.

I won't play it again.

Dr. S.
 
Joined
Apr 9, 2004
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Location
Walla walla, Washington
Country
llUnited States
now that the newness has worn off,and my "presents under the tree on christmas morning" eyes have refocused, i realize there is not much new here.it follows a fairly tired theme of confined spaces filled with {insert favorite monster here}.it is pretty, it is scary,but i kept hearing this sound that got louder with every zombie i killed.the louder it got the more it resembled a chant,till it was booming in my ears "you fell for the hype,you fell for the hype,you fell for the hype".the story is good,the graphics are great,but i can find no inovation here and quite frankly im getting bored.i will finish the game though,maybe something will happen to change my mind.
 
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
2,155
Reaction score
1
Location
Secret Island Base
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Terry Patterson said:
now that the newness has worn off,and my "presents under the tree on christmas morning" eyes have refocused, i realize there is not much new here.it follows a fairly tired theme of confined spaces filled with {insert favorite monster here}.it is pretty, it is scary,but i kept hearing this sound that got louder with every zombie i killed.the louder it got the more it resembled a chant,till it was booming in my ears "you fell for the hype,you fell for the hype,you fell for the hype".the story is good,the graphics are great,but i can find no inovation here and quite frankly im getting bored.i will finish the game though,maybe something will happen to change my mind.
Far Cry is 1000% better than Doom 3 - without question. One level of Far Cry has more free-roaming space than all the levels in Doom 3 combined.

Dr. S.
 

Full Monty

Member
Joined
May 20, 2004
Messages
760
Reaction score
0
Location
United Kingdom
Country
ll
Terry Patterson said:
far cry is on my list,i had it in my hands,then i saw doom 3.ahhh,the power of advertising!
I'd recommend 'Painkiller' over both. Nice variation in environments from level to level (although with out the draw distance of 'Far Cry') and some interesting weapons (Stakegun anyone?). Again, there's nothing new but it's all done with terrific panache and there's a nice line of humour that runs through it.
 

Overseer

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
2
Location
PA
Country
llUnited States
At no point in the development did they say they would be innovating gameplay. They wanted to make a Doom game. Doom is the quintessential you alone against the forces of hell game.

As for the confined spaces... well... you're in a base on another planet. Didn't you see Total Recall? You DON'T want to go outside on Mars. :p

I've been starting to go back to doom 3 (I beat the game a long while ago, not long after it came out) but I've been starting to pick up the multiplayer and it brings me back to the days of real deathmatch action. Thus, I'm happy with all aspects of the game. :smoke:
 
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
2,155
Reaction score
1
Location
Secret Island Base
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Siberian HEAT said:
ACG has a review of Doom 3 just completed. Linky

You can see if his analysis falls in line with your own. :D
Cool, I didn't know ACG would be reviewing this.

I see he mentions the darkness...

"The visuals are stunning- when you can see them. This is the DARKEST game you will ever crawl, run and scream yourself through. Not even the Silent Hill or Thief series were as dark as this."

Dr. S.
 

Scout Out

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Earth, USA
Country
llUnited States
Dark as a witches behind. :surprise: :OHNO:
I'm gonna try and finish Doom3 once without resorting to some of the Flashlight/Weapon mods out there.

Looking forward to some 4-way fragfests as more Mods out there design maps for the doom crowd.

Off to read the review...

;)
 

Overseer

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
2
Location
PA
Country
llUnited States
I don't really get why everyone goes beserk about the darkness. I didn't really have that much trouble, I bumped the gamma setting up a slight bit and I could see generally fine. Besides the game would have been excruciatingly dull if everything was nice and bright. :p
 

Siberian HEAT

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2002
Messages
2,069
Reaction score
1
Location
Cheyenne Mtn, CO
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
I don't really get why everyone goes beserk about the darkness. I didn't really have that much trouble, I bumped the gamma setting up a slight bit and I could see generally fine. Besides the game would have been excruciatingly dull if everything was nice and bright. :p
The darkness wasn't THAT big of a problem for me, although it did mean that I could never play the game when the sun was up. My computer screen faces the window and my blinds don't do a very good job of blocking all the brightness. Thus, there would always be a glare on my screen preventing me from seeing properly in D3. Besides, some of my greatest scares came after midnight when I was strung out tired just trying to push on to the next level.

I found some of the atmospheres in the second half of the game absolutely FRIGHTENING. I let myself be immersed into it and was rewarded with some great scares!
 

Patrocles

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
6
Location
Chicago, IL
Overseer said:
I don't really get why everyone goes beserk about the darkness. I didn't really have that much trouble, I bumped the gamma setting up a slight bit and I could see generally fine. Besides the game would have been excruciatingly dull if everything was nice and bright. :p
Well, I didn't quite go berserk about the darkness. I found it dulling my sense of fun for D3. :cheeky:

I haven't really found the game very frightening or creepy...maybe I just need to persevere and keep playing the game and I'm sure I will find something to freak me out! :nuts:
 

Patrocles

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
1,794
Reaction score
6
Location
Chicago, IL
Doctor Sinister said:
Far Cry is 1000% better than Doom 3 - without question. One level of Far Cry has more free-roaming space than all the levels in Doom 3 combined.

Dr. S.
ditto! FarCry is fantastic!
 

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Joined
Sep 2, 2002
Messages
5,113
Reaction score
44
Location
MA, USA
Country
llUnited States
Doctor Sinister said:
I gave up playing after level 3.

It's too dark, to the extent that I have a monster headache after I play it for even short bursts.
Well, there is a brightness slider in the graphics settings ;)

I also found it gets much better after the first levels, the first levels were dull and as you say just dark. I pause for now to wait for the Linux client but I'm sure I'll finish it.
 
Top