Moral Dilemma

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the main things I don't like about VASL PBEM is the moral dilemmas. :mad:

I hate making decisions for both players, such as when to break a logfile and potentially wipe out time spent by my opponents, but also DR/dr and results. Perhaps he stripped concealment on my guys later, did such and such....

Often I am on the receiving end too. Sometimes a decision is made that I wished I had been brought in on, but other times, breaking the logfile too often for sometimes trivial things is a PITA too!! (trivial might be very different depending on your perspective)

Ya! Somewhere there should be a general guidance on what to do. I keep planning on writing one for the wiki or elsewhere, but who has the time? :cry:

[not really a moral dilemma, but using it since my vocabulary sucks]

Last edited:

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the recent one:

I get an email to the effect of "My defensive fire was really good."

Open the logfile and the first action is a normal shot forgetting about OBA (which as usual is absolutely critical). FtF, I usually say "Don't forget about your OBA." [EXC: vs an @ss]

I am pretty liberal on the ASLOP and prefer a friendly game. I usually don't care if you repair a lmg half way through prep fire since there was no reason not to try, but OBA/smoke does need to go first.

Unscrupulous types can say "Just continue" when their dice were stellar and then "Oh yeah, let me do my OBA" when they sucked. Of course, I don't think that of my opponent, but I do *think* about it.

I have done the same and everyone can make mistakes easily, but PBEM and not really knowing your opponent makes these calls hard for me.

FWIW, I am trying to work with my opponent for an agreeable solution via email.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes these things are part and parcel of a VASL E-mail game. How I handle it is what would I do if I was FtF and do it regardless of the consequences. In a recent game I had a simular situation occur. after a long delay (work , Vacation) he sent on a file. He didn't do his OBA correctly he drew an extra red card when he didn't have to, not to mention he had FFE:C on board and could have coverted it srtaight to an FFE:1 instead of going the SR route. So I stopped the replay and sent it back to him. Now what he does with the file and how he plays it is on his conscious. Mine is clear.

VASL games have to have some leeway. esspecially with logs getting stopped in the middle. There have been many times I have done something in the original log when it was stopped and I redid it I forgot to do something again.

Also with VASL when playing on a big map thing aren't aways seen. recently I'm playing VotGs CG4 I have an FFE:2 150mm rocket on board. I start at the top of the board for prepfire and the FFE is on the bottom of the board. So he allowed me to play it out of sequence. I would do the same.

I will admit I'm human and have thought about such things. But in the end its just a game and the comraderie is more important than any Win.

BTY Will if you want another Vasl E-mail opponate drop me a line. I'm unemployed at the moment and have plenty of time.
With passage of the unemployment extention I have 8 more months before I have to get a job.:cool:

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two things I try to abide by:

First, my email comments usually do not indicate anything that happened in the log so as not influence my opponents decisions on stopping the log.

Second, instructions on how to proceed should be in the log, not the email. These have generally kept my and my opponent's delima's to a minimum. Of course YMMV.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two things I try to abide by:

First, my email comments usually do not indicate anything that happened in the log so as not influence my opponents decisions on stopping the log.

Second, instructions on how to proceed should be in the log, not the email. These have generally kept my and my opponent's delima's to a minimum. Of course YMMV.
Two very good points. I try to do the same. The only time I might put any instructions in the e-mail is if I do something wrong and catch it later in the log and correct it.

Like Oh I get that sniper later.

Last edited:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I write subliminal messages backwards in invisible type to Led Zeppelin music recorded at a pitch only a dog can hear into each and every log file I send. :devious:

MLapanzer doesn't know it but that is why he wore a dress to a neighborhood drag bar on a hot summer's night last year. :laugh:

:p:p:p:p:p

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MLapanzer doesn't know it but that is why he wore a dress to a neighborhood drag bar on a hot summer's night last year.
I don't think that was because of anything you did...:devious:...OSU fans are always doing that sort of thing.

:clown:

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I write subliminal messages backwards in invisible type to Led Zeppelin music recorded at a pitch only a dog can hear into each and every log file I send. :devious:

MLapanzer doesn't know it but that is why he wore a dress to a neighborhood drag bar on a hot summer's night last year. :laugh:

:p:p:p:p:p
They tore it down 3 years ago.:upset: