Monsters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Looks like it might have some potential.

[video=youtube;njeofv4dr9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeofv4dr9Q&feature[/video]

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm in, but they better not Cloverfield the camera this time or I will be pissed. The first 15 minutes is almost nauseating.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember seeing a trailer for this sometime ago. I'm hoping it's good as I'm a sucker for giant monster movies!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember seeing a trailer for this sometime ago. I'm hoping it's good as I'm a sucker for giant monster movies!
I would expect less Cloverfield and more Stalker. Just a warning from what I heard/read. I see Verizon is offering it on demand, so I will probably watch it ASAP.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why didn't people like Cloverfield so much?? And a Stalker-like movie would be awesome!
I don't know. I thought it was a fantastic take on the classic giant monster movie. Sure, the shaky camera thing got annoying - and really, really unrealistic - at times, but I thought the movie was super-creepy and a lot of fun. I never got the hate either.

I would LOVE a Stalker like movie, and would be very pleased if Monsters comes close to Tarkovsky's masterpiece. I'm tired of mindless action. I would much have a meditative - if spooky - movie about people coming to grips with the unknown, just as Tarkovsky did with Stalker. Sometimes the lack of a budget can be a blessing in disguise. :)

Now, if we could just get a Claymore movie. :D

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Why didn't people like Cloverfield so much?? And a Stalker-like movie would be awesome!
Loved the film a lot. But to be honest, the most common remark was don't rush yourself on the popcorn, you won't miss the first 15 minutes.
A lot of downmloaders said as much too, just skip the first 15 minutes, you won't miss it.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can understand that as the first 15 are a bit tedious. I understand the necessity of using those 15 to set-up the characters, but I think it fails somewhat because the characters just aren't that interesting (the moody brunette was the only interesting character in the whole film :)). I think it would have helped if they could have worked more pre-attack clues into the first 15 - maybe some more TV news and such.

I think Hollywood would screw that up by making it 3D :D
Ha, too true. And I shudder to think which Hollywood tramps would get the core roles.

But to be fair, I think the sword-play would translate extremely well to a live action movie. One of the things that is really hooking me with this show is how when the Claymores fight, they resemble Olympian goddesses that literally reshape the landscape during the course of a battle. :cool: It's over the top, but it also serves to make the Claymores more believable as deadly warriors.

I think my favorite scene is when they go to ambush Teresa at the inn, and one of the Claymores drops a big bag of coins on the desk of the inn keeper. "Hey! This is too much money for a room," he exclaims. And the Claymore replies "Actually, that should just about cover the costs of the damages." I actually laughed out loud at that. :laugh:

Here we go:

[video=youtube;RzP9lhmpMFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzP9lhmpMFo[/video]

Strip out some of the anime tropisms, and it would work very well in a movie. :cool: It probably would be right up the alley of a Quintin Tarantino, too.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know... that's not a bad idea! QT may not be a bad director the movie! (That fight scene in killbill Vol! should dispel all dislikes imo!!). And haha I like it when Claire finally shows off her potential ;) (comes in later in the show against a male "awakened being.)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know... that's not a bad idea! QT may not be a bad director the movie! (That fight scene in killbill Vol! should dispel all dislikes imo!!).
Exactly what I was thinking. Tarantino likes his chicks with swords, bloody combat, and anime, so he would be a natural for such a film. He probably would cast Uma Thurman as Teresa, too. :D

And haha I like it when Claire finally shows off her potential ;) (comes in later in the show against a male "awakened being.)
Not there yet!