Monkeys with Typewriters Scenario 12 Replacement

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MwT12.1 "Tenacious Defense" by Steve Swann. This replaces MwT12 and has not been thru the judging process. Mr. Swann has kindly supplied it to bring us back to a baker's dozen for the pack.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since nobody has posted any comments for this scenario, I thought I'd take a look.

Reading the intro, I wonder if I missed this somewhere in the texts we were provided? If not required to stay within the contest parameters this is great stuff. I like both intro and aftermath.

Supream? No biggie, but you might think I wasn't paying attention if I didn't mention it..

The German setup might be better written as "...anywhere on board 21 and/or in hexes numbered =>7 on board 49". I get this every time from my reg opponent when I shoot a scenario his way.

The VC leaves the possibility of a draw. Looking at the VCs, I would say that the Canadians can prevent a German win every time by keeping a tank out of harms way. IMO, the Germans should be able to hold the Canadian VC building for 6 turns, so I'm thinking that if your ok with a draw, this is no problem. Otherwise, the VC must be cleaned up. I would eliminate the German VC provision, add a half turn, and make the Canucks take that building or loose.

I like the map. No terrain changes or overlays. And it looks tough on the attacker as it should. Germans have some nice FL and AT gun spots. The HIP guys and their impact will be key. Did I say I love HIP? Yep, it makes things more interesting for both sides, but especially increases the game enjoyment for a defender with limited forces, IMO.

Love the variable forces, which make the balance very good and easily done.

This looks like it has very good possibilities and I'd be willing to play it with some adjustment of VCs.

The judges for this contest should also get a well deserved hand. I found it a bit of work, but for a great cause.

I hope you find it a fair critique Steve. Well done overall as usual. I don't know if you use VASL or not, but I'd be willing to help you get it setup if you're interested. You would instantly get access to all the maps....

regards-
Bruce

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Bruce

Actually this scenario has been sitting on my hard drive for at least 2 years. It was already completed way prior to even the mention of the contest. I did think about submitting it anyway, but rejected that idea since some info was not in the first document listed. I felt that would have been a little unfair and maybe be considered as 'cheating'.
As it is, it was available for a 'filler' slot to replace the original MwT-12 so that works out OK in my book. I just hope that some ASL'ers will like it enough to play.

SS

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ok, just took a look at this one. Out of curiousity, why the instant loss for the Canadians if they lose all their tanks? It doesn't seem bad, just wondering if this has a historical rationale, or if it is a gameplay rationale to lessen the effectiveness of the tank support?

Looks like a nice size scenario, nice force-to-space ratio, and I especially like the write-up.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Michael

WEll, trying to remember something from > two years ago is a little rough, but to the best of memory it was to restrict AFV Bypass Freeze Sleeze (BFS). (A tactic which (in my opinion) is used too often and has effects way too hard on the defender.)

SS

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Michael

WEll, trying to remember something from > two years ago is a little rough, but to the best of memory it was to restrict AFV Bypass Freeze Sleeze (BFS). (A tactic which (in my opinion) is used too often and has effects way too hard on the defender.)

SS
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I also thought it interesting that given your research was two years before we started talking about the same action, you still zeroed in on some stuff common to the others - the fifty defenders, for example. Your sources apparently had a lot more high-level discussion of Hitler and his generals; wonder how many people would have included that in their aftermath/prelude had it been available to them. Interesting study in contrasts.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Yep, I guess. My info from two years ago was completely different than what I have now. My info that I have collected since the start of this fun-test is greater now also and if I ever do a third design it will use totally different info source also. I may even mess aground with a micro-CG, but I am having some problems with the German OoB since it was/is so small.