Monkeys With Typewriters New Thread

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
We need someone with authority. We need someone or some people who will lead this process,who have followed the arguments in the threads and are prepared to make a decision and say what is going to happen and what the rules will be. At the moment, it seems like we are all waiting for everyone to miraculously agree and hope it just happens.

If you would like to run MWT 2011, say so in this thread. I suggest that in one weeks time, Friday the 22nd, I will create a poll of all the nominations. The winner of that ballot can do what they think is right. They can appoint further members of a committee if the wish or do it all themselves. The point is that the successful candidate will be responsible for the event running and being successful for another year.

Throw your names into the ring. Who can get this thing off the ground? You get total authority to do what you want.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I really don't want to run it, I want to take part, but failing someone better I would run in in thanks for all the hard work that was put in last year by all that were involved (I had a blast). If someone wants to run it but wants help I'd do that as well.

Ian

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My MWT idea isn’t about scenario design, it’s about article writing. Maybe people are burnt out with scenario design? Maybe it’s time to take a short break? I’m hoping that the idea of writing an article about ASL might recharge some of your creative batteries. If there are any players out there who have always wanted to write an article about ASL, but don’t know how to take the first step or were intimidated by having to write a big article, now is the time to try it. It comes at a good time, because Chas Argent put out a call for articles for Journal 10. http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?99125-Journal-10-Submissions-Needed

I figure we could do an article like Mark Nixon did when he wrote about the scenarios in West of Alamein and Croix de Guerre. We could do a scenario write-up for the Armies of Oblivion, the Action Pack 6 scenarios or even the scenarios from a Journal. Majority decides. We could have two writers per scenario with each side taking a nationality. If we don’t have enough volunteers, then each person can write about one scenario.

That way each writer wouldn’t have to write much and it’s a pretty easy topic about what are the advantages/disadvantages of one side in a scenario. EVERYONE has an opinion about that. The only prerequisite is that you’ve had to have played the scenario. I would volunteer to be one of the editors, since I’ve written a few articles in the past. Maybe a couple of the other guys who have written articles (Shelling, Repetti) would volunteer to help edit and guide the new writers too?

If someone else has a better idea for an article that can be written by a group of people, speak up. Having the article published in an issue of a Journal would give you some recognition and it’s cool to see your name in a Journal. “Hey, I’m a published author!” is what I was thinking when I saw Journal 1. That first article is the hardest one, but maybe we can find the next Medrow or Nixon out there?

It’s still Monkeys With Typewriters, but you’re typing something different this time.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My MWT idea isn’t about scenario design, it’s about article writing. Maybe people are burnt out with scenario design? Maybe it’s time to take a short break? I’m hoping that the idea of writing an article about ASL might recharge some of your creative batteries. If there are any players out there who have always wanted to write an article about ASL, but don’t know how to take the first step or were intimidated by having to write a big article, now is the time to try it. It comes at a good time, because Chas Argent put out a call for articles for Journal 10. http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?99125-Journal-10-Submissions-Needed

I figure we could do an article like Mark Nixon did when he wrote about the scenarios in West of Alamein and Croix de Guerre. We could do a scenario write-up for the Armies of Oblivion, the Action Pack 6 scenarios or even the scenarios from a Journal. Majority decides. We could have two writers per scenario with each side taking a nationality. If we don’t have enough volunteers, then each person can write about one scenario.

That way each writer wouldn’t have to write much and it’s a pretty easy topic about what are the advantages/disadvantages of one side in a scenario. EVERYONE has an opinion about that. The only prerequisite is that you’ve had to have played the scenario. I would volunteer to be one of the editors, since I’ve written a few articles in the past. Maybe a couple of the other guys who have written articles (Shelling, Repetti) would volunteer to help edit and guide the new writers too?

If someone else has a better idea for an article that can be written by a group of people, speak up. Having the article published in an issue of a Journal would give you some recognition and it’s cool to see your name in a Journal. “Hey, I’m a published author!” is what I was thinking when I saw Journal 1. That first article is the hardest one, but maybe we can find the next Medrow or Nixon out there?

It’s still Monkeys With Typewriters, but you’re typing something different this time.
I don't think the contestents are burnt out, it's the organising that has not happened this time round as Martin has observed. Though nothing wrong with your idea of a new direction. I think though it's lack of progression that is killing the Monkey.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Now a (slightly) more serious and thoughtful response.

I mention again the idea of "Hex Monkeys" for board design. The idea would be to take an existing ASL scenario (whether MMP or TPP) that uses geo-boards, and try to design a new geo-board that would more closely resemble the actual terrain of the action.

For example (and only an example): Gavin Take. Design a geo-board of the Chef-du-Pont area to replace bd3. The OOB of the scenario would need to change to match the new conditions, of course, but that could be the basis of a new MwT contest.

Just a thought.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Rob's idea is a very good one.
I'm not a writer, but I'd certainly enjoy reading/possibly judging entry's
in a "Monkeys That Write"-type of contest.

Last edited:

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So we are all agreed then?????

I'm gunna start designing a scenario using a HASL board.......

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I hold my hand up and say "mea culpa" as it was I that refloated the idea and didn't come back to it (time limited etc etc).

From my experience of being Chief Monkey Wrangler, Judge Herder and general dogsbody of the past three I'd say that we need 4 things to succeed.
1. someone to run it
2. judges who are willing to play the top 3
3. an anomymiser, responsible for scenario card generation.
4. a good concept

MwT1 worked well as we had all 4, MwT2 worked not so well as (4) was flawed and Kerry died before producing final scenarios. MwT3 suffered because Steve had to go into hospital just after prelim judging and we never got to do the playing of the top 3/5

to be honest, no.4 is the easy bit, no.1 is not much harder - getting people to actually play the top 3/5 scenarios and rank them is a challenge and it's a big job getting the scenario cards out (kudos to Tuomo for taking time out from Map Elfing for MwT3....)

So.....any volunteers? I'd do it but my schedule over the next 3 months is uncertain (apart from a month in the UK in July). Personally I'd prefer just to design but I'll step up and do the Herding if needed.

And as intriguing as Robs idea is, it's not one I'd participate in - I've just written two technical papers for submission at a conference in may and never want to write anything again. Ever :)

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So I take it this died a lonely old death from lack of interest while I was on holiday?

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. someone to run it
2. judges who are willing to play the top 3
3. an anomymiser, responsible for scenario card generation.
4. a good concept
I was in the MWT #1 and enjoyed it. I have not had a chance to participate since.

I need to give back to the hobby so I would volunteer to do #3.

To do it I would need the following things:

• Whatever program is used to build the scenario cards
• The proper card templates.
• The rules for the submissions: i.e. Are they created exactly as submitted with errors or is there some editing before publishing, etc.
• I would probably need a hug before it is all done

Lets get this thing going.

John

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I was in the MWT #1 and enjoyed it. I have not had a chance to participate since.

I need to give back to the hobby so I would volunteer to do #3.

To do it I would need the following things:

• Whatever program is used to build the scenario cards
• The proper card templates.
• The rules for the submissions: i.e. Are they created exactly as submitted with errors or is there some editing before publishing, etc.
• I would probably need a hug before it is all done

Lets get this thing going.

John
IIRC, Kerry used Open Office, which is a free download.