Monkeys With Typewriters in the new year?

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
All

I was thinking about resurrecting the MwT scenario design challenge again in the New Year, maybe with a HASL map'd theme. Want to use RB for Aachen, KGP for Malaysia, OVHS for Kharkhov? Feel free :)

What reaction from the peanut gallery? Interest? Disdain? Disgust? Excitement? Depression?

Let me know what you think. I was thinking of the same format as before, out of the box judging and then PT the top 5 and give the tiara to the top ranked.

Ian

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't care what we do, as long as the design challenge happens again!

HASLs might be fun. However, whatever we do, please don't limit it like last time with a small selection of widely known boards.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I don't care what we do, as long as the design challenge happens again!

HASLs might be fun. However, whatever we do, please don't limit it like last time with a small selection of widely known boards.
I was thinking of leaving the situation wide open with the only stipulaion being the use of a HASL map

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Hmm, I was sort of hoping to to get a situation provided that would allow me to use some of the lesser known TPM boards in combination ie, LFT with BFP with FE with FrF etc

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of leaving the situation wide open with the only stipulaion being the use of a HASL map
Oh. Well, my opinion is that having a situation is the best part, so I don't have to do the research myself - which seems to be the most "daunting" part of it. It's also interesting to see everyone's take on a particular situation...

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think select a historical source again. I think that aspect worked well. Just allow the designers to use any of the MMP Official Products. Most would be designers have most of it anyway and then we can try to be more imaginative. Let the designer chose the board - geo or historical that best serves their purpose.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like this one with a single caveat:

May not use HASL map for an action represented by the map.

i,.e No Stalingrad scenarios for the RB, VotG maps.

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
I think select a historical source again. I think that aspect worked well. Just allow the designers to use any of the MMP Official Products. Most would be designers have most of it anyway and then we can try to be more imaginative. Let the designer chose the board - geo or historical that best serves their purpose.
This sounds like the best solution to me. I would like to see how different designers tackle the same situation. I have yet to design an ASL scenario, so I look forward to the MwT contest.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This sounds like the best solution to me. I would like to see how different designers tackle the same situation. I have yet to design an ASL scenario, so I look forward to the MwT contest.
But we've done that before- the Carpiquet one. Let's do something different.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All

I was thinking about resurrecting the MwT scenario design challenge again in the New Year, maybe with a HASL map'd theme. Want to use RB for Aachen, KGP for Malaysia, OVHS for Kharkhov? Feel free :)

What reaction from the peanut gallery? Interest? Disdain? Disgust? Excitement? Depression?

Let me know what you think. I was thinking of the same format as before, out of the box judging and then PT the top 5 and give the tiara to the top ranked.

Ian
I'm up for it...

The HASL maps only thing seems do-able. I think we should limit it to MMP/AH only made maps, more accessable to everybody. Nothing against TPPs, just not everybody has all their stuff.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How about using a specfic set of boards and let the designer fit the scenario to the board configuration.

Each scenario must use one of the new 1 a/b, 2 a/b, or 3 a/b boards.

PTO, ETO, MTO and East Front all valid and the OOB must have a least a company level fire team on each side (relatively say 9 to 15 squads and no more then 4 AFV) for any Meeting Engagements and for any Attacker vs Defenders divide by a 1/3 the defenders forces?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about using a specfic set of boards and let the designer fit the scenario to the board configuration.

Each scenario must use one of the new 1 a/b, 2 a/b, or 3 a/b boards.

PTO, ETO, MTO and East Front all valid and the OOB must have a least a company level fire team on each side (relatively say 9 to 15 squads and no more then 4 AFV) for any Meeting Engagements and for any Attacker vs Defenders divide by a 1/3 the defenders forces?

Too many rules

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm up for this one as well.

I'd prefer to see any CG map used and maybe some other restriction to bring the theme together. What worked for mempreviously was the fact that all the dsigns melded together well. If we just have "use a CG board" then how will you compare a tight little fire fight in KGP jungle to a divisional water crossing on ABTF?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm up for this one as well.

I'd prefer to see any CG map used and maybe some other restriction to bring the theme together. What worked for mempreviously was the fact that all the dsigns melded together well. If we just have "use a CG board" then how will you compare a tight little fire fight in KGP jungle to a divisional water crossing on ABTF?
How about stipulating a little used, but not obscure, AFV?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm in, if nothing else than to ride herd on the judges.

I like the simplicity of just using a HASL map for something other than its original action.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
everything is good for me but a too exotic action that requires night, caves, snow, planes, paradrops, boats, SSRs about submarines and light poles, or possibly all at the same time like the last one.

and please at least this time I would see something basically plain and simple leaving the designer to add elements where needed. The important part of the contest should be "how well or bad each designer arranges the elements has at disposal", and not "how he finds or invents the elements he does not own at start".
Ideally I would have a battle report in Wikipedia-style as starting point in six parts :
-Strategic situation
-OBs
-Terrain description
-Objectives
-important or peculiar facts happened during the battle
-aftermath

and not pages and pages where you have to spot as a hidden treasure the single line (if any) that allows you to imagine a possible (although never optimal) situation for the scenario.
Call me lazy ( Psyco I know you will do it :) ) but I would a scenario contest where the best designer is who designs the best scenario with all tools at disposal, and not who has to extract lemon juice from rocks before prepare the cocktail!

Last edited: