Monkeys with Typewriters II

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Hey! Its 2009 and time for the second "Monkeys with Typewriters" (MwT) scenario design contest.

By starting early this year, we hope that designers will have plenty of time to do their best ( 2months) and that the judges will have time to properly test the scenarios without being rushed.

Plenty of spaces left to fill!
Judges required!
Designers desired!
We are again in need of a SAG for layouts (maybe Terry will do so again?)

This year we are taking a little combat action patrol way up north... into the land of the midnight sun! Sunny Norway! But with a twist! No British/French/Polish forces allowed! Only Norwegians vs Germans this time over the river banks east of Olso. Can the Norwegians slow down the Germans before being interred in Sweden?

Only the designers know!

Combat information file is...

Come one! Come all! Fun and games for all!

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Oh! By the way...
to the designers...

the word is GO!
(you have until 1 March 2009 to submit your designs)

SS

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome ! Im in. Question, will the judges critique all the submissions? This is my first contest and no matter what place i finish i would like to know what the judges thought. How does that part of the process work?

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Awesome ! Im in. Question, will the judges critique all the submissions? This is my first contest and no matter what place i finish i would like to know what the judges thought. How does that part of the process work?
There are generally some comments made on every design... not only by the judges, but also by the other designers after the submissions are released. If you want a detailed critique on your design, you will have to request that from whichever judges you want to listen to.

shirlfactor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool, id listen to anyone who is willing to critique it, even if they tell me it sucked lol.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm da judge! I heard Sarge was also gonna Judge..

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
As best I know (at this moment)
Designers
SSwann
King Billy
Glennbo
Shirlfactor
Chris Olden

Judges
Tuomo
ASLSarge
Whizbang1963

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As best I know (at this moment)
Designers
SSwann
King Billy
Glennbo
Shirlfactor
Chris Olden

Judges
Tuomo
ASLSarge
Whizbang1963
Haven't been on the forums much lately... so must have missed the Judge sign up sheet.... but if you guys will have me back I'll sign up to Judge again.

JT

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I will try to design something...

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will submit another design and thanks for the opportunity I learned a lot from the last one; was aggravating and rewarding all at the same time.

Question: Please clarify the criteria being judged again.

Thanks,

John

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Looked over this action and it is not my cup of java, the info given seems to be about how one side or the other is equipped, there is some remarks on some skirmishing between the Germans and the Norweagens but not really enough to do a full blown intro and aftermath. From what I could gather, sounds like the Allies are sitting in Fortress's and the Germans need to pry them out. No mobility or real manuver, attack dug in allies with infantry and thats about it.

Maybe someone with more telent then me could sift out a fun action out of Steves posting, but I cant for the life of me. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a PTO scenario design contest.

Scott

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like there to be more info available, but I think there's
enough to base a scenario on. It won't be as "historically
accurate"*blech* as I'd like, but I'm gonna give it a try.
co

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Maybe someone with more telent then me could sift out a fun action out of Steves posting, but I cant for the life of me. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a PTO scenario design contest.

Scott
What a lame excuse!

Scott, are you chickening out AGAIN?? I thought you were going to represent the MPs?

Bwaack! bwackk!

Last edited:

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Looked over this action and it is not my cup of java, the info given seems to be about how one side or the other is equipped, there is some remarks on some skirmishing between the Germans and the Norweagens but not really enough to do a full blown intro and aftermath. From what I could gather, sounds like the Allies are sitting in Fortress's and the Germans need to pry them out. No mobility or real manuver, attack dug in allies with infantry and thats about it.

Scott
Not quite correct. The action is a German river crossing vs Norwegian resistance.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Updated List...
Designers
SSwann
King Billy
Glennbo
Shirlfactor
Chris Olden
Michael R
Montagu
Corwin
Wrongway149

Judges
Tuomo
ASLSarge
Whizbang1963
James Taylor

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the "what is the judging criteria" question?

One thing that we learned from the MwT I was that either a submission limit, or more time needs to be allocated to evaluate the scenarios.

Given a short time frame, (relatively), and 13 design submissions, for MwT I the judges had to make a decision to limit the field of scenarios that would get play tested.

There is no doubt in my mind that we (the judges) may have overlooked a possible strong submission or two by not playtesting each and everyone. There simply was not time.

What ended up being the criteria used to narrow the field was having each judge provide a subjective ranking, (completely within the discretion of each judge), and then compiling the results to create a final list. The top five then were playtested by the judges.

Some of the criteria used by the judges:

-were their terrain changing SSRs that were unwieldy?
-did the scenario appear to be balanced at a glance?
-did the scenario appear to be *fun* to play?
-were their too many or too lengthy SSRs?
-were their any glaring design errors? i.e. that squad type is not available at that time period, etc.
-did the size/length of the scenario seem to fit the description of the action?

Again... each of the judges decided how to weight these (and other) criteria in creating their own personal list.

Absent some discussion/decisions otherwise I expect this will again be the process used.

BTW, where is Linton on the judge list?

JT