Monkeys and Typewriters - Scenario Design Contest

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Following on from the excellent thread about different scenarios covering the same action, interest has been expressed in putting a bunch of scenario design monkeys in a room to see what they'd come up with given exactly the same reference materials. What'd be the outcome? The ASL equivalent of Hamlet or just a pile of poo covered typewriters?

I'd suggest that we use the following on the Bracchi Hills but do we use it as is or just choose a small piece? I'm open to suggestions.

So far myself and Messrs Shelling, Olden and Swann have expressed interest - anyone else up for a little scenario designing fun and games? - you don't have to have done it before. We could release the offending articles for the hordes of GS playtesting rats to coo over, pore over, rip apart and praise :) The prize? Only the glory of knowing you've done something worthwhile for the hobby (unless someone wants to throw a nominal prize into the ring?)

Thoughts from the gallery? :)

Ian

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be willing to participate, but I have one concern. This idea will only work if all the designers use the exact same source. What's to stop an "overly ambitious" designer from doing further research on his own and coming up with more interesting details which will result in his scenario being labled "more historically accurate" than the other entries?

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great idea Ian, but, how you guys can design scenarios during the summer months is beyond me...

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ummm...just got a good look at your source. Guess it would be hard to come up with more detail than that!

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be willing to participate, but.....What's to stop an "overly ambitious" designer from doing further research on his own and coming up with more interesting details which will result in his scenario being labled "more historically accurate" than the other entries?
Will "more historically accurate" neccessarily result in a better scenario...?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Is "Taking the Left Tit" [20] included in the contest?

JR
As I pointed out in the other thread, that was only one small part of the overall battle.

In fact, you could get multiple scenarios from the source material cited.

So what would the point of the scenario contest be? All the scenarios would be proceeding from different starting points unless you specified a specific sub-unit action from the start.

Last edited:

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
As I pointed out in the other thread, that was only one small part of the overall battle.

In fact, you could get multiple scenarios from the source material cited.

So what would the point of the scenario contest be? All the scenarios would be proceeding from different starting points unless you specified a specific sub-unit action from the start.
I think it'd be interesting to do it from both perspectives ie. a small sub-action and the choose-an-action-from-here angle. I think the second is probably more do-able than the first, unless anyone has any strong prefs.

As to the point? Other than an exercise, there is none. The interest was shown in the other thread to see what other guys would come up with when presented with same material - isn't that enough of a point?

Ian

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The interest was shown in the other thread to see what other guys would come up with when presented with same material - isn't that enough of a point?

Ian
Well then let's all start with some fresh, new battle that hasn't already been done extensively.

But I'm not picky. Anything will do.

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm in. Sounds like fun. I haven't designed in over 10 years, but always wanted to start again. This fits the bill for getting the juices flowing again.

After we decide on a battle and a book just let me know where I can order it.

Are we doing one scenario or a 6 pack?

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Well, if the Bracchi Hills is a no-go, hows about the other one on the same site, Tanapag Plain for some PTO goodness?

Or does anyone else have some ideas? Like Glenn, I'm not fussy :)

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if the Bracchi Hills is a no-go, hows about the other one on the same site, Tanapag Plain for some PTO goodness?

Or does anyone else have some ideas? Like Glenn, I'm not fussy :)
I'm especially not fussy about this new PTO idea (Tanapag Plain) because that is the major source for ESG's new monster-sized PTO scenario, "Atrocity is Mandatory" to be released in Dezign Pak 4 at ASLOK. So I'm already done! :D

ESG was going to title it "Hari-Kari Gulch", but that was only one part of the total battle. :)

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From page 156:

The artillery fire failed to upset the enemy plan of attack, and it was only after stiff fighting that the 3d Battalion managed to beat off the waves of enemy infantry. On the other side of the Minturno-Santa Maria road, tank destroyers firing from Tufo Ridge tried to soften up the enemy positions along the crest of The Spur, without success.
So, even Psycho can design a scenario on this battle!!:p

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm especially not fussy about this new PTO idea (Tanapag Plain) because that is the major source for ESG's new monster-sized PTO scenario, "Atrocity is Mandatory" to be released in Dezign Pak 4 at ASLOK. So I'm already done! :D

I've design a couple here to, so not so fresh for me.

One went to the 'Deluxe Action Pack'

Whatever happened to that?