MOL and cowering

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How does cowering affect the 4 FP MOL increase on an IFT shot vs. infantry? A7.9 looks pretty clear that the column is shifted based on the FP of the entire attack, but then in A22.611, it says "The MOL 4 FP bonus is always added after any modification of FP; i.e., it is not subject to modification." Is cowering equivalent to a "modification" based on this sentence, or are they referring to things like PBF/TPBF/etc.?

Specific example... a 3 FP squad is firing at an assault moving squad adjacent to it in OG. It checks for MOL with a +1 drm due to use vs non-AFV and rolls a 1 so he has a MOL. The original shot without the MOL would be 6(-1) and the 4 FP from the MOL takes it up to an 8(-1) on the IFT. The DR is 5,5 which is a cower. Is only the squad FP is affected by the cower, i.e. would their 6 FP drop to the 4 FP column, and then the +4 MOL would take it back to the 8 FP column? Or does the entire attack get shifted to the 6 FP column?

I assume its the later...the entire attack gets shifted down a column...but I didn't see a Q&A on it and just wanted to see what others have to say on the matter.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Cowering is not a FP modification. It is applied after FP has been calculated and after the dice are rolled. In your case, the squad's 3FP should have been doubled (PBF) with 4FP added for the MOL. Total 10FP resolved on the 8FP IFT column.

Because of Cowering, however, the attack is resolved on the 6FP table.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A MOL TK is not affected by cowering and per A22.611 "...The MOL 4 FP bonus is always added after any modification of FP; i.e., it is not subject to modification." so I would say no it is not reduced for cowering. Interesting to note as well, although the rule says the 4FP IFT is always added to an attack in the rule, this is not the case as one may decline to use the 4FP IFT bonus (presumably to avoid a SAN or a CX penalty as it is only a TK# and not a TH#) per an oft noted Q&A:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I'm with Binchois, Cowering is a column shift, not a FP modification (per A7.371). As for Gunshields they have their own EXC in C11.51 "... because gunshields never modify a FT attack or a FG which includes only units attacking from outside the Gun's CA and/or using MOL." although it's not clear to me from that rule that you need to only use a MOL given the "and/or" part.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm with Binchois, Cowering is a column shift, not a FP modification (per A7.371). As for Gunshields they have their own EXC in C11.51 "... because gunshields never modify a FT attack or a FG which includes only units attacking from outside the Gun's CA and/or using MOL." although it's not clear to me from that rule that you need to only use a MOL given the "and/or" part.
Interesting take as I guess I never really thought of that way until I re-read 7.371 & 7.372 just now. You and Binchois are correct that they are not one and the same. Don't know if it ever occurred with me but probably has and just flew right trough it without much thought or problem from either player (have no idea of which way I had ever resolved it either).

As for the "use of the MOL", you are "using" it regardless but simply choosing not to apply the IFT FP (which by rule interestingly seems somewhat mandatory). However, if you can choose to forego the use of the IFT FP firing at a Gun it does seem one should be able to do so against an AFV as well; a simple way to avoid cowering (A7.9) and being marked with a Final Fire counter or potentially activating a Sniper (A14.1) in such an instance as you haven't fired on the IFT and only a TK DR would be made.:rolleyes: