Modes of playing TacOps

JohnfMonahan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TacOps can be played one player solitaire, one on one with two computers (live or email), team vs. the AI over the ‘Net or team vs. team over the ‘Net. I will explain the pros and cons of each mode.

Solitaire you are used to. TacOps has a lot of great AI scenarios. But you cannot, in the current version, create new ones. The scenarios are heavily scripted by the designer, which makes them great to play and impossible for you and me to duplicate. The best AI I have ever played. A good way to become expert with game operations.

One on one is OK in person. I don’t like it via email for a tactical game but it’s great for operational and strategic games with longer turns. It makes for much more interesting games as people are not as predictable as the AI. Sometimes stupider too! More fun than solitaire.

Team vs. the AI over the ‘Net is very good, especially for learning and just having a good time. In TacOps it requires another computer to host the game. This is in addition to each players computer. This can be done over a LAN or over the ’Net. It’s a gas to watch the AI and outwit him. And experiment. Not all games will do this, but TacOps will.

Team vs. team is the best. It also requires a host computer. Prior planning can be extensive or almost non-existent. Often, one or two team members will do most of the planning. Usually the host/umpire will have a fairly involved scenario to play. Scheduling is often the major issue. Teams big enough to include a separate CO and Staff Officer/Fire support Coordinator are absolutely the best. :joy: Team size is also a real C&C issue with timed turns.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not only that . . .

The 'factory scenarios' can be extensively modified and the results can be dramatically different from the original. For TO&E experimenters like myself, this provides an excellent way to test your theories as the AI doesn't get bored or gamey no matter how many variants of the same scenario you run.

PBEM also has one big advantage - a single player can effectively manage hundreds [potentially thousands] of units in a truly monster game. We have several players who've effectively played whole divisions this way.